What Makes Tiny Holes?

westy1941(Boulder County, CO)June 28, 2009

Something is eating the flowers. Not the leaves, just the blooms. Tiny holes, tiny chomps out of the edges of petals. I sprayed today with Bayer's NOT exactly healthy bug killer because I couldn't stand it. The jap beetles aren't here yet...not expected for a couple of weeks. I can't find a thing on them - no worms, aphids, scale, etc. It's something that is very cunning. Any ideas?

Westy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetpetiole(4b)

Earwigs.

Go out while it's dark. You will see the hideous things.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 11:42PM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

I just figured that out Janet - just before I got your msg. I'm sure that's it. Now I have to find something to kill those blasted things. The spray I used doesn't mention earwigs. Why do we have to fight insects, heat, drought, wind, frost, pestilence, famine, the Four Horsemen???? It is such hard work to maintain a garden - just isn't fair that these little bastards can make life miserable.

Thanks -- I'm on it...

Westy

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 12:01AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Sluggo Plus is labeled for earwigs and is safe for pets and wildlife.

One thing to keep in mind when spraying insecticides, if they are not systemics, you have to hit the bug to kill it. Spraying at random does no good.

Systemics get into the plant's vascular system and kill the bug when they eat the plant. The rest are contact kill.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:52AM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

buyorsell - can you recommend a systemic? I could ask at the garden center but I trust Gardenweb more! They tried to sell me something for $54 bucks the other day. Some Bayer product. It didn't mention earwigs. I saw one tonight...yuk. I did put down some regular Sluggo that I use on the hosta when desperate. We'll see tomorrow!

Btw, what works for J. Beetles? They'll hit any day now...but I don't believe I've ever seen them on the clems. The decimate everything else - especially the climbing hydrangea.

Westy

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
ianrtaylor
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™