Which citrus cultivar do YOU want??

norwoodnJune 19, 2014

Let's say you want a new citrus tree, but what to choose?! There are so many great varieties to have. But everyone has their own circumstances, so feel free to post which cultivars are on your wish list and why.
Ex, I want a ponderosa lemon for the huge, fragrant peels.
Also im not sure what grapefruit variety, there are some good ones and im looking for a vigorous grower.

So, ladies and gentlemen which would you choose?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

My only interest is meiwa kumquat. It produces small fruit that can be mess free pop-in-the -mouth. They go for $7 /pound if you can find them. They are small-ish trees that pot well. They provide fresh fruit while my other fruit trees are dormant. They are very attractive and good to have indoors as an air freshener. While I like citrus, I am not going to spend the time and money growing something I can get at a fruit store for $1 / pound. There are too many other fruits I can grow that are much easier.

To those who grow citrus up north I'll wish best of luck. Citrus is mot at all easy to grow.

Steve

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 8:37AM
serge94501

I want the pink-hued Australian finger lime as well as the Shiranui.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 10:40AM
gadgetvictim(11)

I would like to purchase the following, mainly because I've read so many good reviews from growers on this forum these varities.

Ponkan
Xie Shan Satsuma
Clemenules
Ponkan/Shiranui

However, I can't find nuseries or a BBS on the island of Oahu or any of the other Hawaiian islands that carry those varities. The problem I have is that the state of Hawaii only allow live plant shipped into the state via bareroot (ie, no soil or mix allowed).

As far as I know, Four Winds Growers is the only online citrus tree vendor located on the Mainland that ship citrus trees to Hawaii. I've purchased numerous varities from them, but they don't carry those varities.

Would appreciate any information if anyone knows of any other citrus tree vendors that can/would ship their plants to Hawaii.

Mahalo, Barry

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™