Petit Faucon

summermusicz4iaJuly 29, 2009

Just bought a Petit Faucon, have always grown type 2 & 3's before. Have an old iron chair w/out a seat, could grow it up thru the chair. Someone mentioned letting it flop down over a raised bed. I have several walls with gray landscape block which would be in some A.M. sun & shade rest of the day. Actually it's feet would have sun & draping plant the shade (reverse order of most clems). Am open to all suggestions from Petit Faucon growers.

Thanks, Marlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Mine is in partial sun and does just fine. It took it four years to get established and then POW it is a bloom machine. It is also smothering neighboring plants. I plan to cage it next year. I could flop down over a bank nicely.

It does not matter if sun is on feet or not, what the old adage means is that they need moist soil. They do not tolerate drought. You do not need to place them where their root zone is in the shade.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 10:54AM
jennie_in_mt(z3 MT)

I am in z3/4 and this is my 2nd full summer with PF. It has swallowed one of those smallish wrought iron obelisks and smothered it with twisted blue blooms and silky seedheads. Truthfully, it is as pretty to me covered with the frilly ripening seedheads as it was covered in blue flowers.
Mine is planted in full sun all day (then again, we have not had a warm summer here this year!) I love either idea you mention with this plant. If it is a low retaining wall, the spilling over look might be really nice. As mine is massed aroudn this short obelisk, I can;t tell a lot aobut the stems. I am wondering if they are more thick and brittle, or flexible.... Hmmmm. If the stems are lsee flxible, the chair otpion might be the way to go. I will check mine tomorrow.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 5:13AM
summermusicz4ia

Jennie, Thanks for sharing your PF experience. How tall is the obelisk you are using? Interested to hear if your stems are brittle or flexible.
Marlene

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 11:07AM
butterclem(z6 W.PA)

Hi,

My Petit Faucon stems are definitely brittle. It grows between a leucoethoe and an itea and is glorious. It's one of my three nominees for best all-summer performance. (The other two are Harlow Carr and Sizaia Ptitsa -- which gives me a lot of violet, but I'm not complaining.)

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
ianrtaylor
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™