Mexican Hat Nursery, Riverside, CA

notolover(5)September 25, 2012

Hello,

Just thought I would let you know about my visit to this nursery. Harvey is the owner and lover of succulents. There is an amazing variety of plants there. Harvey has years of experience and is very generous with his advice.

My main goal was to buy some Echinopsis hybrids and I was not disappointed in the amount available for sale. I only had room about as big as a shoe box in the car so I couldn't go crazy.

The plants were on the ground so it was hard for me to read the labels and very few were flowering so hopefully I made some good selections. They all look fat and happy and are enjoying their view of Mission Beach before we head home.

There is a section with show plants; it looked like there were some beauties there-I should have taken a picture of them. They were too large for me to even consider so I moved on. It was hot and I knew I didn't have much room so I didn't look through all the shade houses or outside plants.

Harvey suggested that I come back in April when most of the Echinopsis are blooming. I can't do it in 2013, but I'm actually considering it the year after.

You have to call or email before you go to make sure they are open. There is no mail order.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Notolover, Nice place indeed, Yes Harvey has an amazing amount of experience and he's more than willing to share it freely just for the asking.

Like I mentioned I live so close to this location and had nver heard of it till about 3 or 4 years ago and that was by chance too, I've told many about the place and they were likewise happy with what they found in their back yard.

Greg

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:36PM
hijole(9 Sunny California)

notolover, Just curious, so how did you hear about the Mexican Hat Nursery in Riverside, Ca. anyway?

Greg

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 1:29PM
notolover(5)

Hi Greg,

I saw the nursery listed at the Cactus and Succulent plant mall. I check that site out once in a while to see if there are new mail order nurseries. But I'm always on the lookout for places that sell Echinopsis hybrids.

I must say that most of the nurseries that I have visited over the years are owned by older people. It really makes me worry about the future of these privately owned specialty nurseries--how long will they be around?

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for improving the new GW?
Let’s do try to keep suggestions to that which is...
Paul MI
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
Gollum Surprise
Gollum leaf I came across tonight. Christopher
kaktuskris
what is this propigation and what can I do with the root?!
this is something a friend of mine gave my mom in a...
Britni Rice
Finally not ashamed of this end of the garden.
So this is one of the projects I made a year ago and...
dephora
Sponsored Products
Rude Jester Limited Edition Cel
$399.99 | zulily
LA Baby Full Size Metal Folding Crib - CS86
$242.24 | Hayneedle
Task Solo Desk Lamp - White - Original BTC
$575.00 | HORNE
Disney Woody and Friends Wall Decal - 74-74512
$80.39 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Bella Embroidered Window Panel
Serena & Lily