Worm castings

sandiegodudeJune 2, 2011

Hey all--I bought a big bag of worm castings at the farmer's market for my garden, and I have a bunch left over.

Do citrus trees benefit from worm castings? I have a young lemon tree, a young orange tree and a young avocado tree, and they seem to be doing OK. I just wondered how much they would benefit if I spread some worm castings around their drip zone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

I dont grow in the ground but I dont see where this would hurt the trees. someone smart will chime in soon.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 11:46AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Absolutely, Sandiegodude. I put down worm casting under all my fruit trees, citrus, avos, stone fruit. Also under my roses. I topped that with composted mulch. It really helps to restore micronutrients into the soil, keep the harmful microbes down and keep the soil moist. I do this at least once a year, and if I'm not too lazy, twice a year. We have a couple of worm farms here in SD county, and they do a very nice job of producing castings. I get mine a the Vista Farmer's Market :-) Just make sure you keep about a 2 to 3" clear diameter around your trunk mulch-free to prevent the bark from staying moist and rotting. For us in S. Calif., mulching can improve our soils, reduce the pH a bit, and help retain moisture. Now, in other areas of the country, mulching citrus may NOT be a good idea, as it may cause to much moisture to be retained and lead to root rot, but for us in S. California, it appears to be beneficial.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas A&M: Compost Effects in 'Rio Red' Grapefruit Production on a Heavy Textured Soil

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 12:09PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Worm casting would always be of benefit to the soil, and subsequently to any kind of plant planted in the soil. The only time I would not suggest that you use them (in large amounts) is in container gardening, where they might 'clog' up the porous potting mix texture that is so essential to healthy container grown plants.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 12:47PM
sandiegodude

Thanks guys!

@Patty -- I got this bag at the Vista Farmer's Market too. It's been sitting in my garage for a month and then it just dawned on me, I bet my fruit trees would love it!

I have a very clay soil so any opportunity to give it more nutrients I'm up for.

I'll do that this weekend. Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 1:27PM
figbear (8b coastal carolina)

Bumping this thread.

Have people who used worm castings with in ground citrus observed an increase in growth? My soil drains well, and I may use some with my trees.

What are people thoughts about worm castings?

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 4:41PM
mikerno_1micha(Zone 6a, Massachusetts)

Oh boy, I am getting the feeling that worm castings will be like fine gold..getting more expensive as they become popular..It use to cost me 20 buck for a 5 gallon bucket! I use them on all my perennials including trees and they thrive with that stuff!

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 5:58AM
kev122

Why not harvest your own worm castings? I do it with a bin in my basement. It really is an easy way to get castings. Paper waste, veg and fruit (not too much citrus ironically), coffee grounds. Doesn't smell. I use the castings for seedlings, and plan on using them for propagating my citrus trees for friends. I use a worm inn , purchased on Amazon, but you can use any kind of bin. Plenty of info on YouTube. Kev.

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 4:55AM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I grow my own castings in the citrus pots them selves and have tree-mendous success. Just don't do that with kumquats trees from seed.

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
The whole Citrus Gang on the back deck....
Brought all the Citrus outside today for a good Neeming...! I...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™