Unhappy Jade Bonsai

bisforbetsySeptember 30, 2013

Hi!

I've had this jade bonsai for over 16 years and it's always had leaves that blackened then snapped off which I assumed was because it was in full sun and I was a little too lax with the watering. Now I've moved, it's in less direct sunlight and I'm watering about the same and the poor things miserable. It's a beautiful shape, the trunk is very firm, but the leaves grow deformed and become wrinkly, soft, brown then crispy black and fall or snap off. Now whole branches are snapping off! Am I over watering as the soft leaves would indicate, or under watering as the crispy leaves would suggest? I water about every one and a half to two weeks. I water until I see water come thru the drainage holes. I do let the water set in the saucer until it's evaporated. There's a miracle grow feed stick in the soil, which is topped with a layer of coconut shell shavings that when mixed in potting soil retains moisture. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
betsy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Betsy,

Overwatering, poor soil (perhaps), poor choice of top dressing,(definitely) fertilizing an ailing plant (you don't want to do that when the plant isn't healthy and in growth mode) - those are three things which come to mind. You've got a nice plant, which will be a nicer plant once you correct those things. These plants are going into growth mode now, and with the proper soil (a porous mix) you'll right this ship.

Here's a great thread on whacking your Crassula ovata to shape it into something that is an eye-catcher. You don't have to, but I think your plant would benefit from a haircut.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg051741321904.html

Here's a primer on growing it.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cacti/2002020340003484.html

Here's a decent thread on soil.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg080127197838.html

One hopes that Josh (Greenman), our Official Jade Spokeperson, makes an appearance here.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 12:04

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

:-) Thanks, Jeff!
Yes, I agree with Jeff - a change of soil and a hair-cut.
It is an awesome Jade and it would be a real shame to lose it.

Josh

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
New to growing cactus, leaf withering?
Hi all! I bought this mini cactus plant last Wednesday,...
s_tomato
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
preparing the new season
A first post on Houzz. This is a picture from the beginning...
hablu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™