Holes in Leaf of Very Young Arabella

poitou(8b)July 22, 2013

I bought a clematis Arabella last week 18 - 24 inches tall. When I went to plant it, the two stems were both broken at the bottom. I took these off for cuttings and planted the reminder which now has just 2 leaves above the soil line. 2 days ago, one of the leaves had 2 holes in it. I put down some slug pellets. Yesterday, the pellets were still there - no dead slugs and an extra hole.

Please advise me what I should use on this young plant to get rid of the insects.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs z4b-5a NH(4b-5aNH)

Until you know what is eating the leaves, any suggestions will be wild guesses. I'd go out at night with a flashlight to see if you can catch the culprit. A photo of the plant's setting and what the holes look like might help, or you could set up earwig traps since they seem to be a problem most places this year and it can't hurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: earwig thread

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 9:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poitou(8b)

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at images of earwig damage and it does look a bit like that. Here is a photo. I'll go out tonight as suggested with torch. The clematis is alone on the lawn next to a large evergreen shrub which I hope it will grow through.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Montana grandiflora frost protection?
Greetings ... I recently moved from relatively frost...
rovenorth
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™