Newbie need suggestions

ohiovalleygardener(5/6)July 3, 2010

I am a fairly new gardener. Just working on my yard for the first time. Last week I past a home that had the most beautiful dark purple clematis over an arbor type thing over the sidewalk to their house. I so want to grow one similar but have never grown them. Are they terribly difficult to grow and where is the best place to get seed to get started? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetpetiole(4b)

Growing clematis from seed takes years and devotion to get a mature plant, and they rarely come true from seed.

You would be better off ordering vines from one of the online clematis vendors. The dark purple you saw was probably a Jackmanii, but Polish Spirit looks similar and is more reliable, grows faster, and a great clematis for someone new to gardening and clematis.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 10:36AM
summermusicz4ia

Great suggestions from Janet. As you are a newbie, I would suggest you visit Home Depot, Lowes, Menards,a local nursery, etc and buy a clematis in a gallon pot instead of ordering a small plant through the mail. These are common varieties that are easy to find at local stores.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 12:08PM
janetpetiole(4b)

Silver Star Vinery carries Polish Spirit although they are sold out right now. She also isn't shipping now, but might in fall. I forget if she ships in fall. Anyway, you can call her when she will have plants ready to ship. Silver Star Vinery ships clematis with the best root systems. Quality plants that are worth the cost.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 1:36PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Your local garden centers/nurseries should sell Clematis. They are more likely to have a better selection, higher quality and more accurate labeling than big box stores.

Polish Spirit is a great choice as is Etoile Violette.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™