Dorstenia foetida

birdguideSeptember 29, 2013

This one seems to be in active growth, but is winter dormant. Does it look healthy? A few of the leaves are a bit yellowish. Is it entering dormancy or this a sign of trouble. It seems like it could benefit from a larger pot as it is very difficult to water right now. Would this be OK?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

I would not repot at this time. Some yellowing of leaves is to be expected as we go through fall and into winter. You can continue to water just a bit and less frequently. If it drops all of its leaves allow to dry more, but still a very small amount of water, as it may be semi-dorment. Mine hold their leaves through the winter but I keep them warm. In the spring when new leaves begin to show, you could repot to a slightly larger pot but don't over pot as this can lead to overwatering. Just my opinion... others will add, I'm certain.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 1:45PM
birdguide

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm really new at this, but enjoying it thoroughly. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond! Can I ask how often you water during the winter? Mine will be inside as well under a gro-light at temps of about 65.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:44PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Mine are moved into a greenhouse with daytime temps in the mid to upper 60's and nights in the lower 60's. Moderate humidity because they are in with orchids that get watered weekly. I water many succulents about 10 days or more and some not for weeks. You have to watch your plants. Things like Echeveria will get soft leaves meaning they want water. If they don't perk up may indicate root rot. Dorstenia just get some water every 10 days or so except D. gigas, lavrani, horwoodii and gypsophila which get less. You may find this link helpful:http:// www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Need a good place to buy Mesembs and cheridopsis
Hi folks, Looking for a place that has a good selection...
Bama_Joe
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
Help! New to succulents and I think I have a pest!
Can you help me identify what this white stuff is on...
bbrich86
Succulent ID
My friend gave me this cutting can u tell me what it...
Hamza Nobes
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™