Hooray !! My 5 year old Polish Spirit is blooming.

pump_toad(z4 iowa)July 9, 2009

Finally, my 5 year Polish Spirit has some blooms. They are nothing to brag about since they are mostly on the top.Maybe someone can tell me why. I hard prune every spring and the the botton of the vine is full.I am really not complaining since I have waited for blooms for years and I had determined that this summer would be the last chance before I dug it up.

Lois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Congrats Lois..I've thought about your question from the last time and since you live in such a short growing season zone..I've wondered exactly what month are you hardpruning and are you always fertilizing with rose or tomato fertilizer?...Jeanne

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 7:46PM
pump_toad(z4 iowa)

Thanks Jeanne. Yes we do have a short growing season and I prune as soon as the snow melts and there is enough growth to prune. I will confess,however, that I use a organic rose fertizer and don't fertilze alot. The soil here is very heavy rich soil and most of my plants are not fertilized and grow beautifully.
Huldine and ET are loaded with flowers!! Betty is my favorite and the bloom has ended but I usually get a second flush of flowers from her.
Lois

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:21AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If your Polish Spirit dies all the way to the ground every year and you have to wait for it to grow to have something to prune off, I would skip the pruning. Nature is doing it for you.

Nothing wrong with organic rose fertilizer and not using it a lot if you have rich soil.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:36AM
flowergirl70ks

My Polish Spirit bloomed also, 4th year. Most of the blooms on top like yours. I have it on a trellis with Prince Chas and Venosa Violeuca(sp)Those 2 bloom early and PS is just now blooming,I would say about 20 blooms. I prune in March and use rose fertilizer and mulch with compost. I was ready to dig this year also, it must have heard me threaten it. I bought mine from Song Sparrow along with the others.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
What plants do you use to help shade clematis roots?
I'm just curious to know what are the names of some...
gardenbug
Sponsored Products
Photon Pendant Light
LBC Lighting
Nourison Area Rug: Suzani Teal 8' x 10' 6"
Home Depot
Bali Red Printed Cotton Cushion Cover, Set of Two
$36.95 | Bellacor
Kartell | Bloom New Ceiling/Wall Light
YLiving.com
Eurofase Giselle 25 1/4" Wide Chrome Crystal Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting