How Good Are You...

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MISeptember 6, 2012

So just how good are you at identifying some Echeveria? I know sometimes flowers are helpful but I've only had one of these in flower. Some or all may be hybrids and I'll never have an ID, but thanks for looking and trying your best to help out.

This one was my daughter's. She moved to NYC and left it in my care. I now have several pots of it as it is quite prolific. I've not had it flower but notice that it pups from between the leaves to form a multiple headed crown. And, no, those are new heads and not emerging flower spikes as are seen on Echeveria 'Black Knight' or Echeveria diffractens that initially look like new heads.

Also not seen a flower but I wonder if it is Echeveria minima. The heads are rather small with very thick chunky leaves.

I have several Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy' and I think this the "normal" form of Echeveria runyonii

Lastly, this has typical Echeveria bell shaped flowers that are yellow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Not at all, Howard, I'm pulling a Sargent Shultz, but they're sure nice Echies in their own right and anyone would be happy to have them in their collection - I know I would.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:58AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I don't know either. I have a Ech that looks like your supposed E runyonnii that I was thinking the same thing. I guess I could plant it in the ground and see if it makes it through the winter. That would be one test of Identity. There are several E runyonnii (sp?)

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 1:36PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Mara, not sure how growing it outside for the winter would ID the plant???? While your winters are significantly more mild than mine, I know this is not a winter hardy plant... maybe into the upper 30's, if kept very dry.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:21PM
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

The fourth photo down looks like E. Perle von Nurnberg to me.

*CG*

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 7:06PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

No, Jessica. Pictures 4 and 5 are the same plant and the leaves are not thick enough for PvN nor are they the right color... they would need more purple/mauve.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:46PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

The 1st & 2nd, I believe are Echeveria elegans (E. albicans included with this species name now).

The 3rd, I believe could be xGraptoveria 'A Grim One'.

4th & 5th, if more white/grey, might be Echeveria runyonii, but I don't think this species is found much in cultivation. Looks somewhat like Echeveria 'Lucita', but still, not white enough & looks a bit larger than 'Lucita'.

6th, seems like xGraptoveria 'Tibutans'.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for improving the new GW?
Let’s do try to keep suggestions to that which is...
Paul MI
Hobbits for Nancy
Here are the Hobbits I was talking about. My Mom got...
ehuns27 7a PA
Pleiospilos Nelii
I just purchased one at Lowe's in a 2 1/2" pot....
elizabethk1
Variegated Jade Forest (pics)
Let the New Year root-down commence! This succulent...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Great news!
End of day one for my new greenhouse! It is larger,has...
spikef35
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™