Citrus Greening found in Savannah..whole state

wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)June 18, 2009

now under quarantine...found on a lemon tree ( I assume a Meyers). Be on the lookout.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tolumnia(FL 9)

Here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus greeing in GA

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 11:25AM
brass_tacks(8b/GA)

It would be interesting to know what people are doing to protect their trees.

I have been spraying with Surround WP since before the flush. I had to get myself a motorized backpack sprayer and probably should get the fogger attachment. I probably would get better coverage. (Stihl sprayer that holds 4 gal.) I tried using the pump sprayer, but the droplets were too big to get even a fair coverage -- maybe if I was spraying a little tree it would not be so labor intensive.

The Kaolin clay (called Surround WP)powder is totally organic and a sticker is added. The supplier that has the best price is 7Springsfarm.com in Check, VA for $27. How I got my latest shipment of 10, 25# bags was by calling them and it just so happened that they had a new customer in Valdosta, GA that had placed a big enough order to have a truck delivery of their products. My order got placed on the truck and I paid $30 for my part of the shipping.

Here is the drawback -- you mix the powder (3 cups to a gallon of water is the ratio). While you can get fair to good coverage of the leaves, it requires a second coat. The spraying needs to be applied after a time -- depending on the dew, the rain, the wind, etc. It rubs off. So while we sprayed our trees just before a rain, to spray again within the week would just mean we would have to spray again, and again -- that's the problem.

However, I justify the application even if I don't know if the Asian psyllid is around here by knowing that my trees are being protected from other anthropods -- including aphids and maybe even leaf miners. I haven't seen any leaf miner damage so far, and that is out-of-this-world!! I don't see evidence of rust mite either -- although that damage is too early to detect (I think). Scale, none.

The other day when it felt like 100 outside, my cucumbers didn't even feel warm. I spray all my vegetables with it.

Maybe I should tell that I also use K-Phite 7P. That's a systemic organic fungicide/bactericide.

In Oct 2008 the Citrus industry in Florida had decreased by 30 percent. This Greening disease is a total tragedy.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 6:24PM
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

You have not been able to buy Citrus from Georgia since the beginning of Aug or Sept of 2008, although there was a guy Gizmo selling on ebay after that.

I didn't know that the quarantine was in effect when I bought mine from him, the USDA was very nice when they showed up at my house and expressed regret for having to take my plants and destroy them.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 9:57AM
brass_tacks(8b/GA)

So the plant police are out there stalking e-bay? Is that it? So your trees were confiscated because they were obtained after the fact. This would make a good movie.

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 10:42AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Curious if you're going to be compensated by the seller. ?? i had a similar experience with citrus canker . Ended up being compensated by the state. Certainly worth a shot!! Also had an experience with "importation",orchids in this case, though they had a certificate was not recognized by state . Got money retured from seller in this case. Good luck gary

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
dwarf citrus pest/disease ID help?
I was watering my dwarf lemon and lime trees today...
L
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Savannah Collection Burnished Chestnut 3-lig
Home Depot
Savannah Gardens Tablecloth 90" Round
$139.90 | Horchow
Citrus Tool Set
$9.99 | zulily
Citrus - Satin Sea Green Ovo Table Lamp with Color Finial
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Banded Linen Bumper
Serena & Lily
Boticario de Havana Candle
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for: