Okay time to repot?

raee_gwJune 17, 2014

My calamondin seems happy in the 5 gallons pot that it has been in for years, new growth and flowering -- I just recently picked the last crop-- but I am thinking I should re-pot before it starts to show signs of distress. My mystery citrus (hoping that it is lemon) is looking okay, lots of new growth, flowering and has fruit, but it is in the same soil that my Rangpur lime was suffering in, so I am worrying about it too.

How stressful is it to repot flowering and fruit holding trees? Since I really never have any season that they don't have one or the other, or both.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I don't know for sure but I have had great success in September when a cold front moves through. The heat and moisture load on your tree will much less and you can start acclimating the tree to low light while it is under root stress.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:55PM
raee_gw

That makes sense, poncirusguy. We have similar climate even though it gets a bit colder up here, so your experience is useful to me.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 5:10PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Your tree will be stressed at any time you disturb the roots.

For me, living in Mass. , it's always been this time of the year , right about Father's Day. This way my trees can take a repot without reacting or loosing fruit because they are just about to enter a vigorous growing stage. It's when they are most healthy and we get the most sunlight to encourage a rapid growth response.

My trees react poorly in the fall because that's when they begin to rest and react differently than in prime growing season.

Most anytime of the year you can repot depending on the process and kind of mix you use.

Remember to always let your trees rest in shade for a week or two after a repot.

Mike

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:06AM
raee_gw

Mike, I was hoping that you would respond. Makes even more sense, thanks!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:30AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

What Mike said. This will give them time to recover, before they get brought inside. Which for citrus, is a rather stressful environment, no matter how nice you make it for them :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:21PM
raee_gw

Thanks Patty S.

They were a long time recovering from the nutrient washout from the frequent heavy rain we had last summer, before I realized what was happening (thanks to you guys) so I am being more aggressive with the fertilization too. I plan to use Al's 5-1-1 mix this time

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™