shrubby clematis

marricgardensJuly 25, 2012

Most of the clematis we grow, Ville de Leon, Duchess of Edinburgh types, don't do well here because of the drying winds that we get. The plants are stunted and really sad. I have decided to try growing some of the bush type clematis. Does anyone have any suggestions for which ones are best? Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Which ones are "best" is purely subjective :-) I've attached a link that outlines the characteristics of the different species.......C. integrifolia tends to be one of the most available forms but not all selections are entirely 'shrubby'. More like a sprawling groundcover :-) And some actually do extend to some height but lack a vining ability so may be better draped over/grown into a small shrub.

While still a hybrid clematis, 'Harlow Carr' has visible integrifolia parentage and is great if you want a sprawling effect. Extremely long bloom season. 'Rooguchi' is also very popular. And if you can find it, one my faves is Clematis recta 'Purpurea' which is fully herbaceous, forms what I'd consider a very shrubby plant, has purple foliage and produces clouds of small, white fragrant flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: herbaceous clematis

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 3:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvmyclematis

New Love is a shrub type clematis. It has done very well for me, have grown it about 7 years with a move to a different city almost 5 years ago. Never a problem, it is a nice large shrub in bloom now, seems to handle the drought we are in just fine but it does get shade much of the day. It is well-behaved, does not sucker out of it's area.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Sponsored Products
Missoni Home | Botanica Salmon Rug
YLiving.com
Red Vanilla Clematis White Porcelain Salad Plates (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
16" Clematis Double-Wall Copper Vessel Sink - Medium Antique
Signature Hardware
Live Large Flowering Clematis Louise Rowe - Set of Two
$16.99 | zulily
Clematis Coco Entry Mat
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Leighton Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™