Container planting clematis in WI?

chartreuse_thumb(z8 WA)July 20, 2014

I just bought a franziska maria clematis and due to a very shady yard, am hoping to plant it in a container in front of a west-facing wall that gets at least a few hours of afternoon sun, with strings running up the wall for the clematis to climb.

I'm worried, though, about how it will fair in a container in our Wisconsin winters. I'm also wondering how large the container needs to be to support its root system.

Am I heading down the wrong path? I've got to confess that I have managed to kill clematis' several times in the past, in other houses, but there is just something about them that keeps me coming back! I've got to get it right eventually...right?

Alternatively, I could plant it directly in the ground near a south-facing wall, but this is not a part of the yard that is very visible and I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much as the west-facing side.

Advice welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I am planting all my container clematis in the ground this fall. Have lost several the last two winters even though they were wintered in the garage and several years old.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I am a tad warmer than you and almost always have good snow cover. The only clematis that have been hardy enough to overwinter for me in a container were atragene clematis, the type 1 prune, early small flowering vines.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
ianrtaylor
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™