dug up old, old clematis

andi_mn(z4MN)July 1, 2013

hi folks, I had a clematis that got overrun with weeds and poison ivy. and still it has struggled but no blooms this year. I just had to dig it to deal with weeds and ivy. in the process most of those so slim and fragile stems broke. wondering..can I cut each one of those stems off below breaks and will it regrow? the roots look great, the ground is wet and I've got a good place for it. what do you think?
thanks, andi

This post was edited by andi_mn on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:47

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

No problems. Do exactly as you have described and it will grow back, though you probably won't get flowers this year, and some types may sulk a bit. Next year it will look great again.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

Have similar question about my Josephine ~ she loved her site until Carefree rose got carried away growing beautifully despite good pruning & a Mini rose grown tall. She also survived 2 yrs of chlorosis problem w/ treatments. 'thought I've lost her after our drought of Aug/2012-Mar/2013 ~ she returned as a babe w/ so far, no signs of chlorosis & proceeded to put on blooms! Yay!

I need to move her to a sunnier site but fear how much around to dig & how deep ~ please share your experiences! She is 12 yrs old.

TIA

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™