Clematis for mostly shady location?

zaphod42July 4, 2011

Hi. I was searching online for a climber for a mostly shady location. Didn't think clematis would work as I thought they needed more sun, but a couple popped up. How are Silver Moon and Paniculata. Paniculata seems like a monster in size and Silver Moon is a group 2 which I'm unfamiliar with. Any other clematis that would work for a western exposure that has filtered afternoon sunlight? Where is the best place to order from and can I still plant this summer or fall? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valley_man0505

I have always heard that Nelly Moser is the most shade-tolerant. I plant a few of them last year in a shady location, and they have been showing excellent growth. No blooms yet, but I think that is just because they are not established well-enough yet. A year before I planted the Nelly Mosers, I planted Bourbon and Fireworks in a sunny spot right next to where the Nelly Mosers are, and they just bloomed for the first time this summer (and a lot of blooms too!). I am expecting the Nellies to bloom next year and I will see how the blooms look in shade.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
ianrtaylor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™