Dogs vs Clematis Dogs won

cc_coraline(zone 4)July 8, 2009

Okay my clematis is about 3ft tall and was doing well with its first bud on it and my two puppies were playing by it when they tumbled into it and broke all of its bark around the base away and the tiny shoot coming out at the base off and what I'm wondering is will it die or can it live what will happen to it? there is no leaves below the break its right at the base but its still all attached just at the base there is no bark

Plz help thanks a lot Cc_coraline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

It will be just fine. Severe pruning like that helps Clematis, it does not hurt them. It will likely send up several new vines.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 1:19PM
lalalandwi(5b)

Coraline, I feel your pain! I have a dog that has gotten overzealous in my yard & has done some damage. By the way I'm understanding it is that the stem didn't break completely off? If it did, just like BorS it will be fine. I've had a few that 'bent' where the bark cracked & could still see that it didn't break all the way through & went on to bloom w/o skipping a beat.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 5:30AM
cc_coraline(zone 4)

Thanks for the help its blooming right now and just like lalalandwi said it hasnt even missed a beat thanks for the help

Cc_Coraline

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 9:51PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If it only has one long stem I would cut it off after it is done blooming. You want to encourage it to grow multiple stems and cutting it back is the only way to do this.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™