Wrought Iron Bed Frame as a pea support

deirdre_2007(7)December 1, 2008

Okay, I'm new to veggie gardening, but after the huge success of my tomatoes and herbs this year, I plan on venturing into some veggies next year. I plan on doing some peas, lettuces and broccoli in addition to my herbs and tomatoes.

I will be planting everything in self-watering containers. I know the peas need support and me being, er frugal for lack of a nicer word, I was thinking of using a Queen size wrought iron bed frame, (scrolled with intricate designs) as a plant support.

I'm hoping someone who has a lot more experience and wisdom could advise me on whether this is a "mad hatter" plan, or "quite brilliant". Obviously I'm hoping for the latter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

My vote is 'Quite Brilliant' :)

You may want to add some string or jute for the plants to grab on to where you have empty spots or where the iron is maybe to thick for them to wrap/grab. For several years we've used fence post with netting in between and it's easy to wind up and put away when we're done with it. We do ours down the middle of a raised bed so we can pick from both sides and then plant spring salad veggies (lettuce, spinach, radish, beets, etc... around the bottom in front of the peas. Makes for a yummy salad bed!

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 3:48PM
deirdre_2007(7)

Thank you. I'll continue on with my plan then. I'll try to remember to post pictures in the Spring.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 4:26PM
transplanted2scin07(7b upstate SC)

I vote "brilliant", too.
By using a wrought iron headboard or footboard, you are incorporating artwork into an otherwise boring vegetable garden.

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 12:27PM
trianglejohn

My yard is not the sunniest so peas tend to stretch pretty far to get the sunshine they need. Mine get at least head high (I'm 5' 10"). So you might want to figure out a way to raise up the bed frame and run strings down to the baby peas so that they can find their way up to it. Also, I wouldn't expect to see the bed frame once the peas get going because they tend to overwhelm anything they climb on.

I usually pre-soak my peas (I grow all the edible peas as well as sweet peas which are poisonous) and sow them starting in January and into February as well as Nasturtiums. Lettuce and other greens get started inside the house at any time over the winter and moved outside in early March. I usually don't get peas to eat until early June and by then the lettuce has bolted except for what I grow inside on the windowsill or under lights.

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™