What Ground Cover to Plant Near Clematis?

UncleHippie(5b)July 26, 2013

Hi all,

I have a small garden on the side of a pergola where I am growing some Paul Farges clematis along two of the poles. There are also some small rose bushes planted in this bed. The garden is about 15 feet long and five feet wide. It is in partial shade. I was wondering if there is any ground cover you would recommend planting in this garden that will play nice with the clematis and the roses? I have thought about planting sweet woodruff, but I have heard that it can be invasive and choke out other plants. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Veronica 'Georgia Blue' plays well with others, stays neat even when not blooming and grows from mostly shade to full sun.
Cranberry the same, but it wants acid soil (doesn't need to be wetter than average.)

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 1:36PM
gardengal48

I like hardy geraniums, especially the low spreading kinds, as groundcovers for both roses and clematis. And since the geraniums seem to share a similar color palette with many of the clematis, it's pretty easy to find complimentary choices.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 6:18PM
cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)

I have soapwort planted at the base of my sweet autumn clematis. the soapwort flowers beautifully in the spring and eary summer when the clematis is still growing and green, then is a nice dense green when the hot summer days come, keeping the sweet autumn's feet nice and cool. It stays a lovely green all through the clematis growing season.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:51PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

I've seen soapwort in one of my gardening magazines and thought it was so pretty. Does it spread a lot? Can it be divided easiliy and successful? I planted purple alyssum by base of my new clematis that I planted this Spring. Not much growth on new clematis, and the alyssum fills in nicely but not a lot of color like I thought it would be. Did you start the soapworth from seeds or purchased a starter plant from a nursery or garden center? Is soapworth perennial or annual?

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 11:18AM
UncleHippie(5b)

I ended up taking nhbabs suggestion and went with the Veronica 'Georgia Blue.' I planted it in early August, and the plants seem to be thriving. However, it hasn't really shown much in the way spreading yet. Does it take awhile for it to start branching out?

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:51AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Right now it's probably growing roots and settling in. Next year it will fill out and begin to spread and will probably take off the following year.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 12:08AM
UncleHippie(5b)

I will just be patient. I had never heard of this plant before, but there are some awesome pictures of it online.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 8:14AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Here's my Veronica 'Georgia Blue.', which grows in mostly shade, in its third or fourth year from a single 1 quart pot. From May, 2011

I like it enough that this year I got a couple other pots of it for other gardens.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 12:30PM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Could try any of the Deadnettle cultivars (Lamium sp).....

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 8:48PM
unbiddenn(5)

Campanula dicksons gold

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:59PM
cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)

the soapwort I have, I purchased as a small plant in a nursery. It does indeed spread very quickly. though it does like the sun and will "reach" towards it if it's not getting enough. it is a profuse flowering ground cover. it is literally covered with gorgeous, small, candy pink flowers. and like I said, when blooms are done it stays green and lush. it is almost September and my sweet autumn is blooming out and the soapwort is thick and green. there may be other choices that bloom longer though. I have never tried to separate it, so I don't know how that would work. sorry

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:20AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

babs, i too love that veronica repens. i use it on the walls of our 'chasm' to hold the soil. i love it when it blooms. great suggestion.

Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 11:18AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

uncle, I forgot to say that sweet woodruff was a destructive plant in one of my dry shade beds. I have tried to eliminate it. good choice you made w/ the GA. Blue!

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™