New to citrus and would like advice

maggybyJune 20, 2014

I have 5 citrus tress from 2- 4 years old that I recently purchased. I want to plant them in the Al's 5-1-1 mix. I am having a difficult finding the correct ingredients. I have found
Repi- bark at petsmart,
Peat moss
Dolomitic lime which has calcium 21%,magnesium 12% ,neutralizing value 70% ,pass through a 10 mesh screen 95% ,100 mesh 40% . Is this o.k for my mix.
Perlite . I can not find coarse but only miracle grow or Schulz . There is a product called grow stone that is suppose to be better than perlite. Has anyone heard of it?
I live in Windsor Ont. Canada and found dyna grow ,in Toronto.
One more question. My tress are starting to bloom. Is it o.k to repot them now.
I am sorry for all the questions .I know there are a lot of experienced citrus growers here. I love these trees and I want to give them the best environment in which to thrive .
Thank you so much.
Maggy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangelime1

Hi Maggy . WOW another fellow Canadian, 2 days in a row now . Let me guess you bought your trees at Home Depot ? They had really nice trees . Yes you can repot when the trees are in bloom . I repotted 7 trees this year some of the trees were in bloom, didnt hurt the blooms or the tree .Never used Al 5-1 mix. I am trying something new this year pro mix I have heard it is good. I also use a little miracle grow every time I water and my trees love it .I have heard alot of positive things said a bit dyna- grow .

Brian

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 3:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maggyby

Hi Brian, Nice to meet another Canadian here. I bought two trees at Home Depot,( a limquat and a variegated Meyer lemon) I got the dwarf Meyer lemon,Persian lime and dwarf Washington orange from a garden centre that imports them from a nursery in Florida. They are beautiful 3-4 year old grafted trees. Where do you live? My trees really love the dyna grow. It is a great fertilizer . I use pro mix for my herbs,tomato's and it is a great mix. I want something that will drain a bit more and aerate my citrus roots so that is why I am trying to make Al's 5- 1-1- mix as I understand it is preferred by many here. Thanks for answering my post. .Maggy

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Phoenix Orange Tree Watering Schedule/Setup
All, I just moved into a house with an orange tree...
Andrew McCabe
Avacado planted
Planted this darling in a 511 mix, next day I get this...
cjlopez04
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
Sponsored Products
Orleans Oval Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Stilhaus by Nameeks I06 Towel Bar - STILHAUS I06-08
$192.50 | Hayneedle
Egyptian Cotton 400 Thread Count Stripe Pillowcases (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Dawson Duck Cuddly Buddies Throw
$29.99 | zulily
Frasier Leather Loveseat - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Rebell Pendant by Eglo
$206.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™