Help: 3 year old Mystery Clematis growth explosion

LLLeeksJuly 24, 2011

A family member collected a mystery seed off a plant with gorgeous flowers but couldn't remember what they looked like so I planted it (3 years ago)to see what would happen. The seeds looked like clematis seeds and the leaves look a lot like my clematis montanas. The first two years the growth was slow and small. This year, however, the plant has exploded. The last picture of the three posted below was taken in April and the preceding two photos are the plant today. I haven't seen any blooms yet but the plant roots and spreads easily via the vines sprouting roots where they touch the ground. I fertilized the ground with steer compost before I transplanted the plant this spring but haven't added any more fertilizer.

I'm starting to get worried about the plants' voracity. I want to hang in there and see if it blooms next spring (assuming it's like a montana). Is it unheard of for a new clematis not to bloom at all until year four? Have I unwittingly planted something invasive for my area? I haven't had much luck id'ing this via pictures, especially since I don't know what the flowers look like.

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thank you! Mystery Clematis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Completely normal for Clematis to explode in year three. Also normal for young plants not to bloom.

There is an invasive Clematis in our area, Clematis vitabla. It has small white flowers that I would not consider gorgeous...

I can't tell from the foliage which Clematis that is.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 2:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ratherbgardening(PNW 7 or 8)

I have that invasive one and it's a hard one to get rid of. If the vines are on the ground, they'll take root and spread more, so you may want to look them up to see if that's what it is. Mine was recently whacked back, so I don't recall what the leaf looks like.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
ianrtaylor
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™