Help My Husband Pruned my Bearss Lime

socalfarmerJune 13, 2010

I came home to find my Bearss Lime pruned like at standard tree, lolly-pop shape. It is 10 years old, semi-dwarf, about 8' tall, and gives fruit like crazy. The bottom half is now thinned out to just the main branches, some branches removed. It is about half the tree it was. I know it will send out some shoots. Do I try to rebuild the round citrus shape it once had? What to do, what to do? I live in So Cal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

Living in SoCal you will want to paint the exposed trunk with Tree White to prevent sun scald.

As for the shape of your tree its really a preference thing as there is more than one shape that works. It will put out lots of new shoots that you can either train into branches or that you can cut off. It really all depends on how you want it to look. The bushy round shape does seam to be the preferred method at this time though.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 4:32PM
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

paint the now exposed bark IMMEDIATELY with white paint to prevent sun burn. The sun this time of year will burn it really fast. This is REALLY important. You can use paper to wrap it instead but I don't think it works as well and it harbors bugs. Paint it the best way to go. a small can and a cheep throw away mini roller will get the job done quickly. Indoor latex, bright white (no oil base paint).
You may also want to get a little mulch down where the ground is no longer shaded. Do not let the mulch touch the trunk, just up close to it.
Watch for suckers from the root stock. You may get them now after that sort of pruning.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:56AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Is divorce and option?

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™