Excess clems

cohouserJuly 25, 2009

Back when there were lots of clems for sale locally, I bought a few too many and didn't get them all planted before summer temperatures arrived. A couple of them started to look kind of iffy, so I sank them into the ground in their pots. They perked up very impressively, so now I'm doing them same for the others, to keep them happy until the weather gets cooler and I've figured out where the heck I'm going to put them.

Here's my question: I'd like to cut them back so they don't get all tangled up with one another (I have to sink them close together). But will that encourage root growth and cause them to get rootbound in their pots? I'm still trying to get the hang of cutting back when it's not on the regular pruning schedule.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I cut one back today. I seem to always have several dozen plants in pots waiting to be planted.....

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 10:47PM
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

I see that having a pot ghetto is not a phenomenon limited to rose growers, lol!

Sorry I can't offer you any advice. I am too newb to have any. :o)

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 8:58AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I tell my husband it is a "nursery"

Several dozen is a low estimate......

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 11:22AM
cohouser

So, BorS, you're comfortable cutting back even in summer when necessary -- can you give me your rationale? I've gotten the impression that when you cut back, you stimulate root growth, and isn't this potentially a bad thing when a well-developed clem is in a pot?

Than I've also gotten the impression that when you prune, you stimulate top growth, which is why pruning generally isn't done in the fall; but I've been told it would be OK in the situation where my place is going to be painted in September or October and I've got clems close to the house.

So I'm trying to get these things clear in my mind and... I'm confused.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Montana grandiflora frost protection?
Greetings ... I recently moved from relatively frost...
rovenorth
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™