Can Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus be used in containers?

mn_citrusJune 22, 2013

I just repotted 4 citrus trees, 2 Meyer lemons and a Calamondin from cuttings and a grafted Moro. They're all in 1.5 gallon pots since I'll need to take them inside during the winter. I used the miracle grow citrus/cactus soil with some extra pumice to make sure it was well draining.

However, when it came to buying fertilizer, since I'm in MN my local options are a bit limited. I picked up a bottle of Miracle Grow Shake 'n Feed Citrus off of Amazon, but now that it's arrived I see that you're not supposed to use it for container plants.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/miracle-gro-continuous-release-citrus-avocado-mango-plant-food/prod70322/

"While Miracle-Gro Shake N Feed Citrus Avocado and Mango Plant Food can be used on all types of plants, it is not registered for use on container plants. The nitrogen can release too quickly to be safe for the confined root system of container plants."

1) Can I just adjust the dosage and still get away with using this?

2) If not, I can just spread this on my lawn instead, but then what fertilizer should I use? Most stores in MN won't carry citrus specific fertilizer, so I'll probably need a recommendation for something I can easily mail order. I've seen some recommendations for Peters 25-5-15, but I haven't found a place to buy that around here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

They say that to cover their butts. I have used their products with no problems. just start with small amounts and see how your trees do.

Mike

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 8:39PM
mn_citrus

What dosage do you use? How big are your plants/pots?

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:11PM

I Dont take a very scientific approach to my gardening. I have trees in 1 gallon to 10 gallon. I'll throw a little handful in here and there. Sorry I garden like I cook. never use a recipe. LoL.
I realize that doesn't help you at all and I apologize.

Mike

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:32AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm afraid that I would heed the advice on the label. Since Mike has NO idea of how much to use in a certain sized container, it seems like a smart idea to use that particular product in your garden areas. Right? I took a quick look at the Shake and Feed Instructions and the warning "Not to be used on indoor and outdoor container plants " seems pretty clear, to me.

If you use the 'search the forums ' right here in the Citrus Forum for fertilizers, you'll be able to read the results of hundreds of threads that have been posted on this forum without having to scroll through a zillion pages.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:45AM
mn_citrus

I'm leaning towards ordering a small bottle of foliage pro, but I'm seeing a wide variety of dosing advise in this forum.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 2:32PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Not so much variety, really.

Foliage Pro directions are explicit - 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, once per week. That's the basis of every other fertigating schedule. 1/2 teaspoon, twice a week, for example, and so on and so forth, until you get to 1/4 strength every time you water (which assumes 3 - 4 waterings a week).

Josh

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 3:19PM

Rhizo is correct I have NO idea how much to use.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:54PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Great advice everyone!

Hello, Rhizo, Mike and Josh!:-)

Mike

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree
Hi everyone, This is the first time IâÂÂve posted...
ndvnprt
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
How to prune a Gold Nugget tree
I have a young Gold Nugget tree and, searching information...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Vessel / Drop-In Bathroom Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Three-pack Mini Cartridge Set
$24.99 | FRONTGATE
Blue PigoOut Car Container
$6.99 | zulily
Mosaic Tile: Merola Tile Building Materials Tessera Square Nassau 11-3/4 in. x
$13.75 | Home Depot
Prozyme Original Dog Dietary Supplements - 015PZM-200
$23.99 | Hayneedle