Clematis to grace a stone retaining wall

graficaamy(6)July 11, 2014

Will Clematis be willing to grow along the top of a stone retaining wall 15" wide, ideally skimming along and occasionally looping down to visually soften the wall? It's perfectly OK if some stems sprawl around on the ground behind the wall, in fact some can scramble up into the boxwood and holly that are alongside where I'll plant the clematis.

Plants will be protected by some ground-level shading, and direction I want them to grow along is towards the sun ;-)

I'm looking for late blooming and fragrant! Colorful large blossom or multitude of small blossoms -- anything could work.

I've considered Sweet Autumn but worried it's too humungous plus I'm not happy about possible invasive tendencies.

Anyone have suggestions or pictures of your Clematis along a stone wall? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)

Hi there. I haven't grown anything along a stone wall but I thought I'd make a suggestion on clematis for you since you mentioned SAC but were hesitant!

There is a new clematis called Sweet Summer Love Clematis that I purchased a few weeks ago from a local nursery. It's similar to SAC but it blooms earlier, longer, and is less invasive than SAC. It has bright purple blooms as well. Since it's new I don't have much feedback on it yet but it looks very promising. Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something just lovely.

Michaela

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Summer Love Info

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 7:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs z4b-5a NH(4b-5aNH)

I visited a garden this summer on a Garden Conservancy Open Days tour that had clematis and climbing roses growing up a mortared stone wall and along the top which was probably about the same width as yours. They had used screw eyes and thin wire to guide the roses and clems up the wall and along the top. Lee Valley makes a trellis system that uses wire and some type of epoxy to attach the fasteners, and I've attached a link below to one thread, but a search on this forum (scroll down on main page to just above the new post section) may turn up more thread on it. I don't have one so I can't give an opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley wall trellis

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™