pest or not?

josecitrusJune 12, 2014

I found this on my newly planted in ground meyer lemon tree also the tree has large fruit already but not turning yellow usually how long before they become yellow like lemons?? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

I don't know what the bug is; it looks like a sucking insect. If there is only one or a few, I would not overreact.

You don't say where you live; but if you live in the Northern hemisphere, you could expect your fruit to ripen around mid October to late November.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:06PM
josecitrus

I live in florida and there was about 15-30 of them on the tree it looked like ants with wings to me .

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:40PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There's no telling what that might be.....can't tell from the image with any certainty. My first inclination is that it's a beneficial parasitoid....a tiny wasp that helps us control all manner of pest insects. We love those little guys, believe me.

It could even be a winged ant. I can't think of any sucking pest that this might be, right off the top of my head.

If you come across another one, observe it for a few minutes. If it bends its little butt under and acts like it's stinging the leaf (and you don't see any aphids or scale insects or caterpillars) it could be one of the leaf miner species. The Citrus Leaf Miner is a type of moth, other species might express an interest.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™