Clematis Seed Pods in Clusters?

BarneysMom1(7)July 27, 2014

I inherited 2 clematis plants and got an Earnest Markham and Doctor Ruppell from a nursery. This is their first year. Several months ago the inherited plants had a couple single purple flowers. Nothing from the EM or DR. Now I have what looks like clusters of seeds?! And they are everywhere. I can't tell which plant(s) they are from. Is this normal for them to go to seed and skip blooming? I've never grown them before and won't take offense to pointers for next year. Picture attached.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Those are flower buds, not seed heads. And at this time of year I would assume it is either from a SAC or Clematis virginiana. Given the smooth edges on the leaves, I'm going with SAC :-))

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:56PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Since this is their first year, keep pinching EM and DR to keep them compact and help the roots get established. Also hard prune them after frost for 1-2 years regardless of their pruning requirements. This will help them become stronger plants and more stems will come from the base to make a fuller plant and more blooms the second and/or third year.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:21PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If you want to know what a real Clematis seed head looks like there is one in your picture centre of the bottom right quadrant. The spiky-looking ball thing which will later become fluffy.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™