New to Brugs

dj02November 16, 2010

Hi, I started my first Brug in July and was immediately hooked. I ended up with 7 assorted ones in pots and moved them in to a large window area. All the leaves immediately fell off even though 3 of them were already between 3 to 4'. The tips are green with little sprigs. What do I do to keep them living until spring. Any help will be so appreciated. Thanks ! dj02

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maile_2010(4 Central MN)

Welcome. Am a newbie also. Getting hooked on brugs was easy, eh? Addiction is quite easy with beauty(sight) and scent(sense of smelling) with these plants. I have not found a more intoxicating scent on any other plant. It grabs you and sets you back. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 8:39PM
karyn1(7a)

A window doesn't provide sufficient light. You can keep them growing there but the stems will become lanky and weak. If the brugs are already a good size you are probably better off allowing them to go dormant. You won't lose anything on size next spring because you'll likely end up having to trim off all the lanky growth anyway. You could invest in a small grow light system and make sure your brugs get at least 14 hours of light if you want to keep them growing over the winter. Another reason to consider allowing them to go dormant is that they attract all kinds of pests, especially mites, mealies, aphids and even scale.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 6:14AM
chena(z8 Texas)

I have to agree with Karyn.. If you don't have sufficient lighting you are better off to let them go dormant.. Strip the leaves, cut back on watering to avoid rot and keep it in a cool dimly lit area.. Mine that are in the garage don't seem to mine temps @38*.. I do bring some in BUT you run the risk of those nasty little critters.. Good Luck and WELCOME!!

Kylie

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Brug cuttings:
Good morning all, would like to know if anyone has...
plantmasterm
Malted barley Teas
I always end up with extra cuttings so I root them...
rednofl
brugs for trade
I have these Brugs. Looking to trade. Infinity Phanomenal Tiara Rosa...
maile_2010
goodgirl35us
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™