Help newly planted clematis not doing well.

TomNorthJerseyJuly 1, 2012

A couple of days ago I planted two Piilu clementis plants about 5' away from each other.

One is doing well. The other has lost it's petals and has gone limp. I don't know what to do. Same watering, soil and sun for both.

I planted both the same. Big whole. Amended soil with organic potting soil mix, watered. Mulched. Have been watering 2x a day as directed by the garden center.

Could I have accidentally damaged the stems while planting? I had some difficulty removing the reeds on that one. If so what should I do?

What other possible causes might there be?

Not great with plants. Posted more questions when I first planted here http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0617144513951.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Watering twice a day is not necessary except sometimes for potted plants in extreme heat.

They need to be planted deeper than the nursery pot. Having their crowns exposed isn't good.

It is normal for flowers on newly planted plants to drop their petals and be done.

I would cut them both back myself but many others do not do so when planting.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TomNorthJersey

It's been fairly hot here this week. The plants seem to be doing better. I'm starting to get a handle on the watering now.

I'll consider cutting it back if things change.

Thanks

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
ianrtaylor
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™