EB Stone Cactus mix?

mike22June 10, 2011

I have a number of citrus growing in terracotta pots using EB Stone's "edna's best" potting soil. The combo seems to work well during the summer, but the soil seems much to wet during the winter (pots stay outside). Looking at EB Stone's website for an alternative planting medium, I discovered that they recommended using their cactus mix for citrus as well. So off to the nursery I go to buy the cactus mix...

Until the guy at the nursery practically calls me an idiot for even considering such an idea. He couldn't tell me "why" it was a bad idea. He could only tell me that they would never recommend such a thing.

So, my question is: Why would the EB Stone cactus mix be such a bad medium for growing citrus? Has anyone used it?

Thanks.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Spongey600

well, in a couple years once my citrus needs it i will be using Al's Gritty mix. i ahve no idea why he said its bad to use. the only thing i can think of is it has sand in it which over time will sink to the bottom and may cause draiage issues. i bought 2 bags a few months ago and well they ahd been used to i could not return them, but i made my own version of al's 5-1-1 mix using the cactus mix, orchid bark, perlite, and sunshine growers mix( i had all but the Orchid mix on hand) i made it 7-2-1-1. just to make sure that i had proper drainage and so far so good! the citrus i planted in this had the beginings of root rot, so i barerooted and treated the roots and planted in this mix and that was over a month ago and it it still haging in there. still has about 12 leaves and no dead branches.

you can use it, but i would suggest researching al's gritty mix or the 5-1-1 mix. both are well drainging and there are peopel on here that swear by them for all types of plants/trees !

good luck and keep us in the loop!

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 7:29PM
mike22

Thanks Spongey. Perhaps I'll try your method and blend the cactus mix with the EB potting soil. (Since, I too, already have all of the materials...)

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 11:31AM
robertr

good luck! i would add some bark to the mix! it will increase the drainage and aeration!

Eric

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Citrus cuttings
I have a cutting growing from a dwarf tangerine. What...
tim45z10
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Help on Adjusting Bearss Lime light conditions
Its been a while since my last post and well my Bearss...
MileHighGardener
Potted Myers lemon not growing
I have a potted Myers lemon tree which seems to be...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
Sick Meyers Lemon Tree
Hello, This is my first post and need help with my...
elgrandejuan
Sponsored Products
Mandara Handmade Geometric Pattern Contemporary Flat Weave Rug (7' x 10')
Overstock.com
Campania International Catinat Jar Outdoor Fountain with Basin - GF-813-1601R
Hayneedle
Parisian Script Table Lamp Shade
Cost Plus World Market
Cast Stone Henri Studio Dimensions Outdoor Fountain
SerenityHealth
Polaris Sinks PL925 Double Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink - PL925
$218.00 | Hayneedle
Hand-tufted Transitional Floral-pattern Red/ Orange Area Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 36 in. Vanity in White with Glass Vanity Top
Home Depot
AF Lighting Elements Antique Brass & Blown Glass Table Lamp
$258.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™