Asao seedling

rosefollyJuly 15, 2014

I have a dozen or so clematis growing in my garden mingled with assorted roses, mostly heirloom, and various perennials. A few years ago I posted a picture of one I wanted to identify here on this forum, but had no luck. I suspect the color was off too much. In anyway, that clematis is gone now, a victim of one of the gophers that regularly invade. This past year I lost another, 'Asao'. A few months ago I noticed a small plant emerging nearby. I thought that perhaps the gopher had overlooked a bit of root and 'Asao' was coming back. It certainly was a healthy plant, eagerly growing along a low fence.

Today it bloomed, It is not 'Asao', or at least it is not unless clematis, like roses, can produce some uncharacteristic blooms when the weather is hot. The shade of pink is the same. However, instead of concentrating on the edge of the petals like the color does with 'Asao', here that same raspberry pink is heathered all over each petal with a few darker streaks.

I think it is simply gorgeous. In fact, I like it even better than the parent plant. I'd better get it into a gopher basket soon before I lose it, too.

And if this is indeed a unique cultivar, I'm going to name it after my mother. She was of mixed Irish and Scottish descent, so a heathery clematis would be a perfect tribute to her.

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)

Whatever it is, it's very beautiful! :o)

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I like it too.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™