Planting Josephine, What to do?

organic_kitten(8)July 3, 2008

I am so excited! My Josephine came today and she has four beautiful vines, and her roots are very good, but she is a Donahue, so small enough to need to be potted in a one gallon pot until fall and I need to cut the vines way back too, is this right?

Since she isn't blooming, cutting her back is doable now. I have read the things all of you knowledgable clematis growers have written and read your advice to other newbies regarding the need to cut back the vines on new aquisitions so the energy can go into making roots.

Since finding this forum, I have become obsessed with clematis. I now have five, twelve more are ordered from Chalk Hills, and my list of "have to haves" gets longer every day.

I really appreciate your generosity in sharing your knowledge. I know you will save me many mistakes, but I also know I can count on making some mistakes regardless.

Thank you for your help.

Kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
retiredtraveler

As a pretty avid gardener, please do not worry about making 'mistakes'. The fun of gardening is to get plants you're not familiar with, to grow. Maybe you'll not get the optimal growth, but as long as you don't out-and-out kill the plant, have fun with it ---- you want the plant to thrive and bloom. Don't get hung up with doing everything 100% right.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 9:22AM
organic_kitten(8)

Thank you. I have become obsessed with clematis. I look at the retail websites for what is or will be available, I buy books and read them. I spend hours on this forum...so far I am reading the 34th page back on this forum. My DH is not quite sure what to think about it.
Kay

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 9:29AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Kay ...welcome to the world of Clematis Fanatics!! The main thing to remember is that Clematis LOVE to have their roots stay moist...if not...they will die..so in choosing places to plant them..keep that in mind..also remember they take a good 3 years to be glorious. So never allow those inbetween years to discourage you.Even if they wilt and seem as if they have died..always keep watering that spot and they will 99% of the time come back!!...Jeanne

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 9:46AM
organic_kitten(8)

Jeanne,
thank you so much for answering me. I have read so many of the messages you have written on this forum over the last couple of years.

I actually had two clematis that I knew little about,and they had been just sitting in my yard for three years until this year when I was overwhelmed by the beautiful blossoming of one of them. I now own five clematis, and have ordered 12 more from Chalk Hill and I am making a list to order from Silver Star. After all, she is having a sale, right?

DH just shakes his head.

Also, I am now diligently watering the clematis that had survived not only my neglect, but the drought we've had here the last couple of years. They did receive water pretty regularly since I watered the border they were in, but they didn't get a lot of fertilizer of any kind.

Hopefully they appreciate the new routine.

Kay

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
What plants do you use to help shade clematis roots?
I'm just curious to know what are the names of some...
gardenbug
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Metro Tile Design Solid Pattern Wool Woven Rug - RRC001017-0037
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Campania International Small Low Zen Cast Stone Planting Bowl - P-504-AL
$419.99 | Hayneedle
Eremurus Bulb - Set of Five
$19.99 | zulily
Rusty Faucet Planter
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Fosters Point Planter With Palm Grass
Beyond Stores