Clematis ID needed please

doublejJuly 11, 2008
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

It looks a lot like my General Sikorski, which is blooming for me now in Wa state. Mine has a red bar along the midribs when the flower first opens, and then fades to blue. Those large flowered blue ones are hard to ID. There are so many of them and the color doesn't photograph well. You might check out clematis on the web's search feature. You can go to clematis search, put in blue as the tepal color, white as another color(for the anthers, stamens) pruning type 2 and it will give you a lot of photo's to look at. That might help you ID it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the web

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 7:36AM
doublej

It was bought at Wal Mart and the tag says Josephine TM. I don't know if I can trust this. It doesn't look like the pictures of Josephine TM. If I can't ID it, how do I care for it?

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 7:36PM
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

Josephine has a double pink flower. Your plant looks like a large flowered hybrid pruning group 2. It blooms on old wood and new wood. You don't have to prune it and it will bloom in the spring on the old wood. If you water and fertilize it after the spring bloom you can get a rebloom on the new wood later in the summer or fall. You can also hard prune it every spring if you prefer. You will miss blooms in the spring but it will bloom for you on new wood in the summer. Clematis like moisture during the growing season and fertilizer. A tomato or rose fertilizer is fine. Type 2 clematis grow well here in the PNW. With mine I did very little pruning for the first 10 years. They started getting bare legs and very few blossoms at the bottom of the plant. This year I hard pruned my type 2 to rejuvinate them. They produced a lot of new vines at the base and have a very full look now. So if they get too bare at the bottom you can always hard prune them in the spring. Good luck with your clematis, whatever it is.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
Sponsored Products
Courtyard Coffee and Sand Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. Rug
$211.95 | Bellacor
ELK Lighting Crystal Flushmounts 31253/3 Flushmount - Polished Chrome - 16W in.
$338.00 | Hayneedle
Illumine Wall Mount Fan/Light Control CLI-SH202852076
$16.00 | Home Depot
Arteriors Home - Gilbert Sconce - 49992
Great Furniture Deal
Yoga Direct Professional 8-Inch Core Training Ball - YD249-BLUE
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 4-Light Post Lantern New Tortoise Shell Finish Pale C
Home Depot
Avanti 28-bottle Wine Cooler
Overstock.com
Matte Chrome Flush Mounted Plug In Canopy
$56.25 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™