Meyer lemon tree suggestion???

josecitrusJune 20, 2014

This is my Meyer lemon wanted your opinion does everything look ok with it there were a few lemons small ones that turned yellow could that be transplant shock? I planted it about 2-3 weeks ago. Should it have more lemons for its size right now it had like 15-20 or so is that a good amount. I live in florida so its about 80-85 f degrees now and its been raining a few times a week should I use fertilizer now or wait for a later time?. Also does the ring I made around it look ok or should I do something else? Thanks for all the help also if it helps the soil is mostly on the sandy part and its fast draining so I am thinking about watering about 3 days what do you guys think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

It looks fine; but of course it will suffer transplant shock and some leaf loss. Do not fertilize it until you see some new growth starting; then give it a dose of a good citrus fertilizer at the dripline and water it in well. With a new planting the absence of fertility encourages the roots to grow in search of food and water; and after the roots grow the leaves and branches will grow. If it were my tree, newly transplanted, I would take off all the fruit to let the tree put its energy into new growth. Removal of the fruit is not a complete loss; a Meyer fruit at that size is already better than a lot of lemons.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:28PM
josecitrus

thanks for all the information and is the ring I made in the bottom good for the tree I planted it like an ants mound is that ok or should there be no ring around it?

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:14AM
norwoodn

It looks like you're on Sandy soil, so the water drains away fast enough where you don't have to worry about water sitting next to the trunk of the tree. That's the purpose to the anthill mound you created, so just leave it but don't dig up the soil anymore because citrus have shallow feeder roots.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™