Clematis Rebecca - Wilts every year

bill14150(6)July 7, 2014

I purchased a small Clematis Rebecca in 2012 along with about 3 dozen others. First year, of course, it did little, wilted once, but came back from base. Second year, last year, it got a couple feet high, had one bloom, wilted again, but regrew again from bottom. This year, 2014, it got about 3 feet high and did the exact same thing. 2 feet on either side is, on left, a Ramona, new last year, very slow to start this year (many of my clems were this year, presumably from the harsh winter) and on the right, a Omoshiro, new last year which did very well this year. Has anyone else had any problems growing Rebecca? It's a beautiful red, but so far has been a disappointment for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

My Rebecca is doing okay in a shaded area competing with maple tree roots from a nearby tree. It has stayed short but had several blooms and has not wilted.

This year I have had several that have had some wilt, even older established plants. Maybe it is the weather. We have had a record amount of rain through June. Even some of my established plants haven't bloomed as much while others are loving the rain and blooming away. So it goes.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 12:29AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Unfortunately this is typical behavior from Type II Clematis.

I have found it to be particularly common when I did not prepare a large planting hole and instead tried to just cram them in with no prep.

I have some that do it every year and they are ten years old...

The vines outgrow their root system.

I keep meaning to dig them up and then dig huge holes and backfill with compost instead of the heavy clay where I just crammed them in but I never manage to do it.

I have found heavy pruning helps but does not overcome the problem.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 1:27PM
bill14150(6)

Actually, my soil is very good. No clay, but sandy loam under about a foot of good, dark soil. It was a barnyard a very long time ago. I amended the planting hole as well in 2012 when I planted her. She wilted back, I cut her back and in two weeks, new growth is already beginning. Again. Most of the other nearby clems are doing fine, but the winter did do a number on several of them. And, a baby bunny nipped a few off as well!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™