Dumbie chops clematis, will it survive?

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)August 24, 2008

I planted a Josephine back in spring of this year. Was growing well for first year in. I was weeding out my roses of which it was planted next to, and what happens? I accidentally cut off the top of the clematis vine! There is about 6 inches of a single stem sticking out of the ground now. Ugh!

Is there any hope for spring regrowth? Or should I buy and replant that one.

Thanks all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Chopping usually helps Clematis rather than hurts them. It should be just fine and may sprout additional vines up from the crown.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 11:15AM
bradarmi

I had the same thing happen to me. My dad and I were doing yardwork this weekend, when he proudly proclaimed "I got that damn vine off the crabapple tree finally!"

I said, "oh the white clematis I planted in May that finally started to climb in the direction I want!" That's ok, maybe next year...arg.
He felt bad, but eventually I cooled off and reminded him to ask first, then cut.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 1:04PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

I figure it had all summer to establish itself some, so maybe, just maybe it will come back out in the spring. For now, I am just treating it like it is still ok, watering well, mulch, etc. Mine was vining well too. I had just gotten it to vine up an obelisk trellis. It was about 3 to4 ft long!
Oh well, live and learn I guess! lol

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
ianrtaylor
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™