Identity of this clematis?

dfaustclancyAugust 19, 2014

Hi,
Someone in Worcester has this clematis in their yard and says it has bloomed reliably for years with no maintenance. Of course, she doesn't know the name of it!!!! Argghh! I just love the blue color of this one. Anyone wanna take a guess? Can't get a closer pic, however, if you hit the control key and the plus key at the same time the picture will enlarge for a better look. To make the picture smaller hit control and minus. Pretty tricky, huh? Any and all comments welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

There are a lot of blue-purple clematis. How accurate does the color of the photo seem on your computer? (blues are notoriously hard to photograph, and yes I know that my computer screen may vary)
When does it bloom and for how long?

One thing you can do is type in the particulars (height, bloom time, bloom color, etc,) leaving the parts blank that you don't know, on the search form of Clematis on the Web to see if you can narrow it down. Once you get a list, click on the names and you will see photos. Look at both the leaves and the flowers to see what is a close match.

You can also ask the grower to next season peg down a branch at a leaf node and see if you can get a new plant. Then the name wouldn't matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:23AM
gary11(9a)

Could be The President

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:23PM
dfaustclancy

Wow! Could very well be the President! I looked it up and it does resemble very well. Thanks Gary.https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS561US570&ion=1&espv=&ie=UTF-8&q=the%20president%20clematis

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:56AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

I haven't seen The Pres. that blue but Rhapsody can be.
Is that fanTAStic or what???!!! Next time, also take a closeup so people can see the petal shape and number, and the leaves.
mindy

Bookmark   September 8, 2014 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™