Are these new guys gonna be ok in these pots until planting?

disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)August 5, 2008

My clematis order showed up. I bought 4. I had read somewhere it's better to put them in a pot and let thier roots develope more than gently transplant them to thier perm. spot in the fall (instead of planting now). Which would work out best for me since the spots I have for them have MG there now. My ? is I potted them up in trade gallon pots I have left over and these pots are black in color. I realize they need thier roots cool, so I am worried about having them in these pots. I did top off each pot with 2 inches of mulch, but the sides of these pots still get hit with 3-4 hours direct sun a day. Are these roots gonna over heat? What else can I do.

Thank you so much for all your help

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Melissa..you didn't say from whom you ordered these clematis from as most of us are familiar with each Clematis Supplier and the sizes they ship..If they are very small..repotting into one gallon pots with some bonemeal and digging a hole in your garden and dropping in the pots..bring the soil up around the pots to insulate and keeping moist is adviseable..if they are mature then you can plant them directly into your gardens when the temps are cooler and keeping them moist...Jeanne

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:03AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

As long as you keep them well watered they should be fine. This may mean twice a day if it is really hot.

Remember, nurseries grow them in those black gallon pots by the thousands out in full sun......

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 12:07PM
violetta1976(8 Portland OR)

I don't have a yard, just a balcony. All my clems are in pots and are fine that way. The cool roots thing is a myth. As long as you keep them well watered it'll be fine.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 7:06PM
tracyvine(6 NE Ohio)

Did you mean Morning Glories are in the spot that you plan on putting the clematis? If that is the case you really need to make sure you remove all of the roots from the mgs as well as catch them before they drop seed. Have you been deadheading them? The mg's will compete vehemently with clematis.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 8:22PM
disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)

I got these from an Ebay supplier.birdsongfarm. They don't have much top growth at all, maybe 6-8inches. They do have a good size clump of plump roots. The seller stated she keeps het clematis topped off to promote root growth. I have been checking them a couple times a day, since I'm on vac for the next 2 weeks and I have been outside every day. If it doesn't rain every few days, I do have to water some of my other pots and will do the same for them. It won't take much to water them every day if I have too.

Melissa

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 8:25PM
disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)

I have only had 1 MG bloom so far that I did pluck off after wilting. My MG's really aren't doing much. I had them in part sun, because there was no where else to put them, than I had a fence put in, so I moved the MG's to the fence with full sun, they took to the move OK, just slow to start back up. I wanted to put clematis in instead because I don't want to have to worry about re doing MG's every year.

Melissa

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
What plants do you use to help shade clematis roots?
I'm just curious to know what are the names of some...
gardenbug
Anyone growing Sweet summer love clematis
Can you please post your experience growing this clematis....
bluehaven_gweb
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Sponsored Products
2 Lights "Best Friends" Theme Pink Flush Mount for Children's Room
ParrotUncle
New Royal Blue Kazak 3'x4' Hand Knotted Oriental Wool Rug Adina Collection H3700
BH Sun Inc
Elite Black 48 to 84 Inch Royal Curtain Rod
$60.95 | Bellacor
Nickel Table Lamps: New Age 14 in. 1-Light Matte Nickel Table Lamp 88264A
Home Depot
Oval "Built" Plaque
Signature Hardware
Magic Blue Metallic 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
FreshSpa Bidet Toilet Attachment
Overstock.com
Adesso Lamps Middleton 63 in. Black Wooden Shelf Floor Lamp 3672-01