Will Goodwin

peachymomo(Ca 8)August 4, 2010

The post about unrealistic catalog pics brought this clematis back to mind for me. I saw it first in a magazine and it was the most beautiful blue, a perfect baby blue like you usually only see in hydrangeas. I didn't live in a climate where I could grow clematis at the time and years later when I moved to a place where I could I tried to find it again and the company had pulled it from their website and catalog, when I searched online I only found pics of a much less impressive pale lavender flower.

I did a search again today and out of the mostly lavender flowers there were a few that were similar to that stunning blue I first saw in the magazine, are they real or fake? Has anyone grown Will Goodwin who can say what the real color looks like? With the perfect conditions can it turn blue?

If not, what is your favorite blue clematis?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I grow Will Goodwin. The first year in the ground it looked more blue. Now it is a pale bluish lavender. Still a very nice clematis IMO.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 1:07PM
summermusicz4ia

WG is a pretty bluish-lavender for me also. Rhapsody is the bluest I grow, love it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 3:12PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Some Clematis are more blue than others but none are true pure blue like morning glories, forget me nots, hydrangeas in acid soil or delphiniums.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 6:31PM
opheliathornvt zone 5

I have also fallen for blue photos, only to be disappointed when the bloom is more lavender, or a lighter blue. I'd say my hands-down favorite jewel-tone blue is Rhapsody, which is a show-stopper for me, but durandii and petit faucon are also good, and rooguchi is a lovely color but a different shape.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 10:31AM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a photo of Rhapsody they can post? Close up and entire vine would be great! Thanks!

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:55PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My Rhapsody is too young to have done much yet, but I linked below to the pics that won my heart and enabled me into buying Rhapsody!

As in most of these cases, Rhapsody is not a true blue. As harryshoe's pics show, it begins as a lovely purple clematis, but fades to bluish tones. My understanding is that that is the closest you will get to a blue clematis.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhapsody

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™