Opinions on putting Clematis here

rdbrya2August 8, 2014

I have been seeing beautiful pictures of Clematis and am thinking of planting some here on this brick wall. Would it be best to put a large trellis on this brick wall and let it climb? Otherwise I was thinking of replacing what is in the 2 big pots in the picture and just putting the trellis in the pots similar to this link

http://www.houzz.com/clematis-container-combo

I love that Artic Queen variety.

Is it too late to plant them now in August? I am in Zone 9 and it is still 90 degree weather here, but if I plant now, do they die in the winter then come back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)

I think that will look very pretty!

I would wait until spring just to be safe. I am in zone 5 so I could be totally wrong but I don't think they would do much growing right now in the heat anyway and the high temperatures would just stress them out.

Good luck! I love clematis. :o)

Michaela

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 1:21AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

In your climate Mandevillea might be a better choice....going to be very hot next to that wall and on that patio with reflection from the pool. Not a great spot for Clematis, even those that do better in warmer climates...Mandevillea will bloom longer and not go dormant in winter

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 2:33PM
gary11(9a)

I'm Z9. That location would not do well for Clems and lots of others, judging by space & light considerations. I would recommend a simple small potted plant on the far end of that bench, allowing plenty of room for movement.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™