Sweet Summer Love

rouge21_gw(5)August 17, 2014

This clematis was widely available last season so this year (2014) one should be able to evaluate its performance. Anyone have this blossom in their garden this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ayimera(7a NoVA)

Actually curious about this as well. Relevant thread as I just ordered one from Hirt's last week and got a shipping email today.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 10:50AM
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)

I planted one about a month ago so I'd also love to hear some feedback. I'm very excited about this one. :o)

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 10:56AM
opheliathornvt zone 5

So many of us interested in this one - no one with experience?

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:20AM
kimka(Zone 6B)

I'm particularly hoping to hear about its fragrance if any.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:23PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

In our area this clematis was not widely available until this year. I planted a two gallon one two weeks ago. Am hoping it may have a few blossoms yet before frost.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 1:17PM
roseberri, z6(6)

Hi! I have one that I got in June, it was planted then and it began putting out new growth this month but doesn't appear to have any buds for flowers. I am not at all sure when they are supposed to bloom, one of my Sweet Autumns is blooming now and the other is budded up. I am wondering if this one is too young yet to bloom, it is about 3 ft. x 3ft. but a little thin looking compared to pictures I have seen.
roseberri

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 8:17AM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

Mine, just like Roseberri's was planted in June and is about the same size - with absolutely no buds on it. I was just telling myself, maybe next year...

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 6:39AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Some critter has cut my vines off at 8 inches so no blooms for me this fall. Interesting that the vines on the other clematis in that area have not been clipped, yet.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 1:36PM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

I've got buds, a few, on an expensive nursery grown 5 gal plant.

I just recently bought it, so when I know more.... I'll let you know more.

~Chills

Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 11:26PM
Brooks23(Kentucky zone 6)

I planted Sweet Summer Love last fall and it is living and has grown but not a single bloom. I am a little concerned that it is not blooming. Any one else having trouble with this clematis? The old fashioned white clematis is blooming.
Thanks, Brooks23

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 9:06PM
opheliathornvt zone 5

Clems sleep the first year, creep the second, and leap the third, so yours may be too young to do much yet, but when it does bloom, please come back and let us all know how it is. I'm really curious.

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 6:03PM

opheliathornvt , Thanks for the information. I have written Garden Crossing where I bought the clematis in 2013 to see what they have to say. If I hear anything I will let you know.
Brooks23

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 6:13PM

This is from Garden Crossing.
Sweet Summer Love flowers on New growth. So you can trim it back in the fall. You can fertilize but I would not overdue it. We were just at a meeting today on shrubs and clematis and some of the other growers were asking about the blooming on it. Many had the same thing where it took 2 full growing season before they showed any flowers. My guess is that next year you will have a show.

I hope next year I have some blooms. I think I will trim it back in early spring not fall. What do you suggest.

Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 9:18AM
fleur_zone4

I planted mine in June and it started flowering in late July. I had my last blooms about 10 days ago. The smell is absolutely divine, a mix of vanilla and almond I would say. It's in full sun, in sandy soil. I didn't fertilize it at all and I water about twice a week. Bonus : completely pest free in my backyard.
When I got it it was quite small (maybe 18 inches high) and before I cut it yesterday, it was about 4 feet tall. I love this clematis and my husband wants me to plant at least 2-3 more next spring. Definitely a keeper for me!
I have never smelled a regular white autumn clematis but if it's anything like this one, I want one too!

Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 5:40PM

Fleur-zone4, Congratulations! I sure hope my blooms next summer.
Brooks23

Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 5:49PM
opheliathornvt zone 5

I really want one, even though I have NO place to put one!

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 8:49AM

I won't get any more unless I see a big improvement next year. Waiting 2 years for a clematis to bloom is not fun
Brooks23

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 8:56AM
ayimera(7a NoVA)

Sounds lovely, Fleur-zone4! I planted mine about a month ago (it was very tiny) and it just sat for several weeks. But I noticed some new bottom growth this morning with the cooler temps, so I'm very excited about the spring!

Bookmark   September 19, 2014 at 10:24AM
flowersaremusic(5)

Sweet Summer Love clematis has become one of my favorites. It was increasing in size in it's nursery pot before I could get it into the ground. After planting in early summer, it just took off and grew like Jack's Bean Stalk! Then, by August it was blooming like crazy. Heavenly fragrance and all those sweet little blossoms in shades of deep red to purple all at once. It looks as if it got several years growth in it's first year. I've never had a clematis this eager. It's growing with New Dawn Climbing rose on an arbor.

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 7:47PM

flowersaremusic, That is great! Would love to see a picture. Mine still is not blooming.:-(
Brooks23

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 10:14PM
rouge21_gw(5)

2nd that request ie would love to see a picture in your gardens!

Bookmark   September 30, 2014 at 7:36AM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Yes please post a pic ! I have been following this thread waiting impatiently :) for someone with pics to post ! I bet it's beautiful with new dawn !

Bookmark   September 30, 2014 at 6:41PM
flowersaremusic(5)

Ahh, no pics now, until spring. My growing season is over here in the north part of WA state. No blooms at present. I am watching with interest a Bees Jubilee clematis, still in it's nursery pot, that got lost after a wind storm. Found it during clean-up, completely dried up, cut it all the way back and planted it. It has also taken off with gusto. Only about 2' tall at present, but healthy and promises a good show come spring.

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 7:29PM

Can't wait until spring. Hope your Bees Jubilee grows and blooms.

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 7:53PM
cherieoh(OHz5)

I bought and planted Sweet Summer Love this past spring (2014) and it's growing nicely but no blooms. I didn't really expect any this first season though. Maybe next year but more likely the year after that. Really looking forward to that and hope there really is a fragrance as so many plants have promised a fragrance only to have none. What concerns me about this one so far is that it does not cling to the trellis by itself like my other clematis do. I have to tie this one up or it falls over. Is this normal for this particular clematis?

Bookmark   October 18, 2014 at 10:46AM

cherieoh, At first I had to guide my SSL but it is now 8 ft tall and grows in and out on my trellis. Of course no blooms yet but maybe next year.

Bookmark   October 18, 2014 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™