After mid-season pruning ...

ditasAugust 6, 2012

Hello Clematis lovers ~ just having learned a bit more about Clematis care & how to ~ have more wonderings!

I went ahead & pruned all of my 8 clemmies after the first surge of blooms in Spring & fertilized as suggested (didn't prune Blue Bell as it continuous to bloom). My ?? the new growths have smaller foliage & (a few now flushed) blooms are just as small. Is this as expected?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary11(9a)

Yes, also in my experience the numbers of flowers is slightly diminished and color saturation, especially of reds is diminished, but your experience in a more favorable climate may be better. Good luck....

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 1:31PM
ditas

Thank you for your reply ~ so even w/ a boost of fertilizer it still will not be as robust as in Spring. Well at least they are green w/ blooms unlike before when I didn't prune they were brown, crunchy & looking dead!

I wish the collectors in this forum would post pictures of their Clems in the second life after pruning! Would help reassure a few of us 2nd time beginners!!! TIA if you do!!!

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:50PM
flowergirl70ks

Well, I didn't cut mine back and several are blooming again with normal sized blooms.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 9:26AM
ditas

Hi flowergirl70ks ~ didn't your clems go thru the *Sudden Wilt & dried-up Symdrome* in mid-Summer? Some of mine always did & all I could do was trim painfully all I could! Since I learned here that pruning down for a 2nd flush of vines & blooms ~ but this is what happend!

In the past years I always just left them alone ~ not all go thru the *SW syndrome* & they do rebloom as well as they did altho not as plentiful. The few that go thru the *SW syndrome* also re-surge as well, thru all the crusty-dried vines & foliage if I don't have the time to clean them up.

I'll try to find Alfalfa pellets in town for next season ~ I made the mistake of using the *alfalfa-horse feed blend* this year & was told I may have to deal w/ weed growing as well - sigh!!!

Sometimes one learns the hard way for love of plants!!!
FWIW & TIA

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™