planting clematis root

fourchildrenAugust 21, 2012

I bought a bag of 1 root clematis ville de lyon in an "end of season clearance" bin and it says for spring planting. Can I plant it now?...or what do I do with it until spring planting time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Pot it up with a good potting soil in a 1G nursery container (plant deep) and let it grow on for the rest of the season. Before really cold weather comes on, sink the pot into a loose soil, well-drained area of your garden and mulch well.

You could plant it out next spring but I find those packaged roots often need a bit more TLC than just a single season can provide. Personally, I'd wait to plant it in its permanent location until next fall, when the roots should have filled the container. btw, there IS some green growth on it now, isn't there?

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 4:19PM
fourchildren

No, there's nothing green about it...looks like a dead root. Is there any hope it will grow?

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:15PM
gardengal48

If it looks like a dead root, it most likely IS a dead root. Sorry :-( Bare root starts of clematis are just difficult to establish at even the most ideal time of year (late winter/early spring) but if they haven't had any attention at all, they are essentially garbage by this time of year.

But.......clematis can often offer some very surprising activity, coming to life after an extended period of inactivity. As you have nothing to lose, you might as well just go ahead and proceed as if it were alive and see what happens next spring. Stranger things have happened.....:-))

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™