Are you growing Ville de Lyon?

coloradobirdAugust 23, 2006

Hi, after my last post and the helpful suggestions, I went ahead and ordered 'Ville de Lyon' and 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' from Brushwood. I thought the two would look lovely together. HOWEVER, I am now concerned about the color of Ville de L.

The photos I saw looked like a deep pink/purple, but written descriptions say it is carmine red. (See link below) I am thinking if it is a real red, it's not going to look too great with Comtesse's pale pink.

Am I having one of those problems with photos on the Web not showing the true color? Before I plant these two together, I think I'd better find out what it's going to look like when it's flowering. What color are your Ville de Lyon's flowers?

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo and description of Ville de Lyon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coloradobird

Now I see from reading an old post that I shouldn't have bought a pruning group 2 and a group 3 to plant together. Is this going to be a real problem later on? Maybe I should call and see if they will allow me to sub one of my plants? Help!

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 3:27PM
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

I grow those two togather. When the pic was made climbing rose sombrieul was growing through them, but it got unmanageable and I removed it. The picture was made last year. I don't have a picture from this year and after they finished blooming I cut them all the way back and they are starting to bud out now. In about 2 weeks they will be in bloom again. I prune them alike. Cut them all the way back in late winter and again after they finish blooming.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 4:17PM
golden_ca_2000(BC Canada)

Well I would say it does sort of open a redish color but it fades to a fushia pink. I'm sure the two you have picked will look fine together. And I have read that if you put a pruneing group 2 with a 3 you just prune like 3 - you will still get blooms on the 2 variety - just a little later.

Golden

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 8:39PM
coloradobird

Thanks, Bob and Golden! How cool that you are growing (and had a photo to post) of the same combination, Bob. They DO look good together.

Lovely photos, Golden--I guess maybe it is reddish around the outside edge, and more of a fuschia color inside? Btw, what is the little white one you've got there? I'm thinking of a white for another spot.

I will follow your advice and cut them both back late winter and after bloom.

I'm grateful for this forum, and people who know what they're doing! I almost called and changed my order, but you have set my mind at ease.

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 9:41PM

I think you will really like Ville de Lyon - it is really very pretty. Funny thing is once you start buying clematis - you just seem to keep buying - at least I did and I find most people do - lol. The white clem in the picture there is Marie Boisselot. I just planted it this year. Golden

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 10:12PM
dolatbanu(6A Ontario)

If you are planting 2 clematiis together, how close would you plant them, so that they mingle when they grow. Wouls 2 feet be okay ? I am thinking of Elsa Spath and Gilian blades as companions.

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 3:00AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

2 Feet apart is just purrrrfect!! Gorgeous Pics Lynn and Bob!!...Jeanne

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 8:46AM
coloradobird

Golden, I see what you mean--I have already decided I need more and I haven't even got my first two yet! I just hope I can manage to do everything right so they look as beautiful as yours do. Do you mind if I ask what fertilizer you use and how often?

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 2:57PM

Well I have had the odd ups and downs thats for sure - Ive got wilt a few times with different clems. But they have all seemed to recover - I even had one clem not even show its face (twigg or anything) last year - thought it was dead as a door nail - untill this year it suddenly sprung up and looks healthier than ever - actually I dont even know what the name of it is now - as I thought it was dead and just plain forgot about it. Anyways still waiting for it to actually flower though??
By the way I use a fertilizer called So-Green - Clematis & Vine food. But if you cant find that you can use Rose food. And I have just sprinkled it on every 6 - 8 weeks in the growing season - but always remember to stop once the buds form or you will rush the blooming time.
Alot of my clematis are just young as I went NUTS buying them this year. I think I have just about planted clems everywhere I can find a spot too - lol.
Just make sure you plant the clems as per the instructions(as that is very important) and give them plenty of water and you will do fine ! Best of luck!! Golden

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 4:52PM
coloradobird

Thanks for the fertilizer info. So once they are about to flower, I stop fertilizing for the rest of the season? (For groups 2 & 3, which is what I ordered.)

Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 12:16AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Aren't both Ville de Lyon and Comtesse de Bouchard pruning type 3? Not that it really matters a whole lot, I'm certainly finding you can prune 3's as 2's and vice versa.

I have Ville de Lyon planted with a pale pink mini climbing rose, Jeannie La Joie and the combo is great.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 11:58AM
coloradobird

Buyorsesll, on the Brushwood site, Ville de Lyon is listed as group 2. But since I'm going to plant the group 2 close to the group 3, they are both going to be group 3 for all intents and purposes.

I'm glad to hear your combo works, I think mine will be similar, color-wise. Jeanne is a beautiful rose.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 2:29PM

Well I think they are wrong on the Brushwood site - Ville de lyon is a hard prune - group 3. Golden

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 8:20PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Lynn is correct..it's a pruning group 3..always consult COTW to be sure...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Prune Clematis

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 12:04AM
coloradobird

I did a quick search and most Websites do say group 3; one said "Pruning group B or C." It seems like a consensus to me! It's just as well, since I was going to treat it as a group 3, anyway.

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 12:12AM
coloradobird

Jeanne, I see I missed your post as I was also posting! Thanks for the link; it's good to know where to go for the final word.

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 12:14AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

ColoradoBird!!..You are so welcomed..I ALWAYS refer to COTW!!..That is the Clematis Bible IMHO..Just go to main page and click on CLEMATIS A-Z and then the first letter of the clematis name...you can also use the Search feature for Identifying...or dreaming..by colour...by pruning group...by blooming period...just a wonderful site that I use almost daily....Jeanne

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 9:54AM
both(z5IL)

I am pulling this thread back up because I want to know how your Ville De Lyon are doing with type 3 prunning? I prunned mine as a type 3 because that is what I thought it was, and now I see in Bluestone Perennials it is listed as type 2. Just thought I would see what people think. Amy

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 8:30AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

I am still Hard pruning mine..I have two now...what a wonderful clematis!!..Jeanne

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 11:49AM
eden_in_me(5a Maine)

I pruned mine as a 3, in midApril, as soon as I could see leaf buds. It has put out a lot of new stems.

Marie

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 3:27AM
bloomorelse(Z4b NB Canada)

I've had mine several years and treat as type 3. Blooms well.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 10:42AM
gjbeaudin

Can someone comment on the vine size/strength of this clematis? Compared to other clematis we have this one has a much stronger vine system almost comparable to a grape vine. Living in Minnesota this is a big plus for us. Or other clematis have vines that a much smaller and almost angle hair size. As noted this Ville De Lyon has the texture of a grape vine. Can someone tell me if this is normal for this plant? Are there others that have this trait?

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 10:10AM
eden_in_me(5a Maine)

The vine diameter sometimes increases with age, but on the other hand, some varieties stay more skinny. In Maine, I prefer the thick vined ones too, but it won't stop me if it is thin and I like it, just have to be more careful when training to a trellis etc.

Marie Boisselot has the thickest new vines, but she is one of the oldest in my garden.

Marie

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 11:41AM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

Hi, I bought a clematis about 7 years ago from Park Seeds and I think it might be Ville De Lyon. It is not red at all, but to me it is more of a hot pink with darker edges... I wish I know for sure what the name is on mine. If anyone has any idea, I would be most grateful!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers in Mercy's Garden

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 6:29PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Your link tells me that it is unavailable and that I may not have permission. Here is my V de L in its first year, growing through a hydrangea.
From garden photos 07

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 11:54PM
janetpetiole(4b)

Oh, be still my heart. How perfect.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 8:46AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Ville de Lyon is easy to identify, there is no other Clematis like it.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 12:01PM
virakech(z5 Ohio)

it's one of my favorites.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 6:17PM
bill14150(6)

I see the span of this thread was from 2006 to 2010, 4 years. Well, now it's 6 years. LOL! Just orderd a Ville de Lyon from a reputable seller on eBay, good product as I've ordered from them two other times this year so far. I went a bit 'Clematis Crazy' this year. I've had a Jackmanii since about 1980. Two years ago I added a Henryii and last year I added 'Will Goodwin' and Comtesse de Bouchard' I have a corner of the yard where I have an arbor, several poles and trellis's where I have grown annual vines for many years. Decided to go with clematis and end the yearly replanting. Well, so far I have added 34 new clematis to that corner. I think it will be quite spectacular in a few years!

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:28PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Bill, that sounds lovely. You must show us pictures when they finally bloom.

Kate

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
relocating a clematis
my grandpa wants to get rid of a "weed" which...
Desirai
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Need advice/insight on my Clematis
I'm in Zone 5/6, Pennsylvania. So I bought this Clematis...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Sand/Black 2 ft. x 3
$26.38 | Home Depot
Designers Fountain Meridian 6711 Wall Sconce - Satin Platinum - 6711-SP
$99.50 | Hayneedle
Cal Lighting Chrome Rounded Plug-In Wall Lamp
$94.60 | Lamps Plus
Westinghouse Polished Brass Canopy Kit 7707600
$14.97 | Home Depot
Halloween Girl Print
$20.99 | Dot & Bo