very old mini orange tree

cindi3kidsJune 22, 2014

I have a miniature orange tree that my grandmother brought back from Florida in the 1950's. Yes, it is the original one. I have inherited it since her passing and have had it about 2 years. It is dropping leaves (a lot of leaves) and green fruit. It has bloomed recently and does have some fruit on it. I have very little information on how to care for it or even what kind of orange tree it is. I have moved it outside recently (it was dropping leaves before this) because I was afraid it wasn't getting enough light. Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
citrusweekendwarrior

Pics say a 1000 words. Pics will help us identify what it is, and what it's needs are. When was the last time you transplanted it? What kind of fertilizer are you giving it?

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:14PM
johnmerr(11)

What exactly do you mean when you say "miniature orange"? Do you mean the fruits are small like a Calamondin or Kumquat? Or do you mean it is a dwarf tree with normal size oranges?

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 7:20PM
cindi3kids

I will definitely post some photos. I mean miniature oranges on a tree that is also miniature. The fruit is about the size of a large marble or walnut. They are very fragrant and very very sour. The tree trunk is about the size of the small end of a baseball bat and stands in the pot about 5 1/2 feet.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 11:46PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Okay, so, not an orange. Sounds like a calamondin to me. Photos will help. It may need to be re-potted, as it may be root-bound. You may need to do some root trimming, if the roots are circling the pot, and use a larger pot. You'll want to use a well draining potting mix. Most container folks on the list will use either the "511" or "Gritty" mix recipes you can find on this forum. Or, use Fafard's Professional 52 or Nursery bagged mixes. And of course regular fertilizing to encourage healthy growth. You definitely want to move it outside to get more sunlight, and keep outside as long as weather permits.

Patty S.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 11:01AM
cindi3kids

Ok photos are attached. I have one of the whole tree including the pot that it had been in for many many years. The up close ones are the fruit that are not ripe yet. They will get a bit bigger then turn a beautiful bright orange color and they have a wonderful fragrance. There is a few dead branches. I have removed some already. Thanks for all the help. This tree brings back wonderful memories of my grandms, I would hate to loose it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™