Citrus Tree Problems

jjm340June 26, 2011

I have three dwarf citrus trees (orange, grapefruit and lemon) growing in a planter. They have been in the ground for over a year and are having problems. I thought they weren't getting enough water so I started watering deeper and more often and now the leaves are starting to yellow. They bloomed earlier this year, but all but one of the blooms never turned into fruit (I have one orange). Looking for some advice and I'd be glad to send pictures of the leaves and the trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gracesantacruz(z9 CA)

You might want to be careful on the watering - I've almost lost a tree in the ground by over watering. It suffocates the roots, turns yellow, blooms but little fruit are symptoms.

Sounds like you may have had problems even before water. You might try watering deeply once every week or 2, depending on the heat. I know the roots like to search for water, so keeping it watered frequently like an ornamental plant is not good. It may be the roots never got established well after planting. Years ago, I had a similar experience to you with a Meyer lemon, and I had to pull it out of the ground (roots were rotten from over-watering) and into a container and baby it back to health. Not sure you need to do this yet - this seems to be common occurrence and there are some good experts here to help you, and you may have another problem to begin, but I do know frequent watering is most often the wrong direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Tre eProblem

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 11:13PM
jjm340

Thanks for the response, I'm gonna cut back my watering.

On a side note, how do I post pictures in the forum post itself?

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 12:18AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm confused....are they in the ground or in a planter?

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 12:21PM
cebury(9)

I think he means the type of area next to a house or like a raised bed with structural support like bricks, etc. They call them planters around here.

jjm340: You have to post the pictures at another site (like Photobucket or ImageShack) and then link to them from here (real pain).

Here is a link that might be useful: Take a look here

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu
Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus...
citrusboy
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Polyembryonic seeds
Hi to all I'm germinating some kumquat seeds and some...
swfx
Dekopon on its way
Well I just paid Harris for it. $38 shipped. We will...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™