Two Different Clems? (pics)

pacnwgrdngirl(z8 WA)August 18, 2008

Hello. I gave my Carnaby a pretty hard prune this year. There are two different looking flowers right now - check it out.

Carnaby

Weird One

I know sometimes the flowers can look different, but these look really different. They are weaved in with Carnaby on the same trellis right now both blooming at the same time. Carnaby doesn't look like this when faded out at all either. I have lived here for 4 years and never noticed it before. (Carnaby was a huge, overgrown mess too. Maybe hiding it.) This was already here when I moved in. What do you think? Are they the same?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

Yes, it looks like 2 different clematis to me also. It could be a seedling of Carnaby. My clematis are always producing lots of seedlings that pop up close to the parent plant. The seedlings take a year to germinate and then usually 3 more years to bloom, so that is why you never saw the blooms before. I usually let them grow until they flower. I keep the ones I like and give the rest away or compost them if they are not garden worthy. Seedlings may look nothing like the parent plant.

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 12:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pacnwgrdngirl(z8 WA)

That is a very logical explanation flowerfan! Thanks so much. :o) I went back out and looked at it closer and even the leaves are a different color and different looking. The purple one is about done and Canrnaby is just getting going. I think I will leave it be because the bloom cycles are a little bit different. The trellis has a bit more interest this way.

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Sponsored Products
Fusion Modular Two-Light Dark Bronze Bath Fixture
$290.00 | Bellacor
Mocha Racheal Curtain Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Designed Metal Base and Linen Shade Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
A19 Lighting | Delos Pendant Light
$149.99 | YLighting
Poseidon Bronze Tube Up/Downlight 12" High Outdoor Sconce
Euro Style Lighting