Has anyone kept a verigated pink lemon inside all year

arkberry(8b)June 15, 2012

I need to find a tree that I can keep inside all year. When I moved a large citrus outside, it left a large void in living room. On some other sites, there have been notations that this tree is better adapted to indoor conditions. Will get western afternoon sun. Anyone had any experience with this plant s a true houseplant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrew78(6)

I do have a variegated Pink Lemon tree but I move it outdoors every summer. In general, I think citrus in general do not make good year round house plants. They really do benefit from being outdoors during the summer.

IF you truly want a "citrus house plant", I would vote for the calomondin orange. There easier to keep at a maneagable size, and they do produce small(but very sour), fruits.

Andrew

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 1:36PM
johnmerr(11)

I was going to say calamondin also; good choice for a dedicated indoor citrus. As for sour, the calamondin, is the primary "lemon" in the Philippines; they call it calamansi and they use it green; it is not a bad "lemon", but has a mountain of seeds along with a fair amount of juice for such a small fruit. The tree is pretty, can be pruned to almost any size/shape. I have two at my lemon farm; but they are just decorative garden trees.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:26PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I love my Calamondin tree...although I do not grow it inside I would guess they would do the best for growing inside as well. Calamondin is perfect for iced tea...just use a half a slice and squeeze the juice and drop the rind in the glass...a neighbor loves it as well...she says she uses it to make some type of "mixed" drink,lol...its tiny but has a lot of flavor. When you don't need a whole lemon Calamondin is perfect.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 3:32PM
birdsnblooms

I 4th Calamondin.

An unobstructed west window is fine. In summer, open windows/run a fan for air circulation.

Of course, if you can get a good deal on a variegated Pink Lemon, why not try?

Nancy, your Calamondin is beautiful. All those fruit!!!
Besides ice tea, jelly and marmalade can be made from Calamondin fruit. Toni

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:03AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Toni! I've made Kumquat Jam before...but I will have to try Calamondin Marmalade next.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™