Any ideas about what the problem is with my clem? Pic

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)August 1, 2012

This is Madame Julia Correvon in a whiskey barrel. She has done awesome all season, bloomed beautifully, and even just had a smaller bloom recently. This is her 2nd full year with me. She is planted in a mix of Miracle Grow Potting MIX, peatmoss, perlite, vermiculite, pine fines, slow-release fertilizer, Osmocoted this spring and top dressed with compost/composted cow manure too. I did add a small sprinkling of Tomato Tone a couple weeks ago and watered in. She is planted on the southwest side of my house in full sun almost all day long. Performance has been fine but now she is developing these yellow mottled leaves all over. The mottling seems to be on all the older leaves and none of the newer leaves.

Could it be a nutrient deficiency? Spider mites? I don't see any evidence of webbing all over the leaves though. Hmmm... Not sure and I don't want to add anything else and stress her out more.

Any ideas?

Thankyou!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

that does not resemble nutrient deficiency nor spider mite damage to me. I don't see how she could be lacking nutrients with all that you listed...

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:55PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Well, I don't get it either :) She certainly bloomed fine this year! Loads of blooms! And so healthy all year until this yellow spotting.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:00PM
mauramcgeorge

I lost one Rosemoor completely this year. I cut it back hard to remove infected (wilt?) but the other Rosemoor got the same disease unfortunately. It didn't die back completely like the other one. I keep watering the first one and have seen no sign of growth. I'm wondering if I should dig them up and plant them deeper as some report that this helps clematis' vigor. If so when is the best time to move them. While I'm babbling on about clemat�s I have another ? My husband built me a beautiful arbor so I promptly bought 4 new clematis from Bluestone Perennials last spring. I have generally been pleased with their plants. However the 4 of them have done nothing all summer. They havent died but neither ave they grow. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 11:41AM
gary11(9a)

I'm thinking this is weather related. Very bright light & other local climatic changes can decrease chlorophyll production leaving yellow patches.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 6:34PM
ditas

I tend to agree w/ gary11 ~ could be a delayed reaction to the heat-wave we experienced this season. Despite the regular waterings even my roses are showing reactions a bit later, I think. Perhaps wait it out a bit.

Good luck!!!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™